Human Resource Center
Human Resource Center
 Paid Leave Minimize
The City and County of Denver provides several types of paid leave to help employees achieve a work/life balance:
For more information on all paid leave offered, please refer to CS Rule 10 - Paid Leave.
Paid Time Off (PTO)
PTO offers flexibility to employees in accessing and managing time off because it provides one leave bank that can be used for both vacation and sick leave purposes.


Eligible employees hired or re-hired after December 31, 2009 and employees hired prior to January 1, 2010 who elected to convert from the sick and vacation leave plan to the PTO plan.
Paid Time Off Monthly Accrual Table

Years of Consecutive Service PTO Hours Earned Monthly
0-6 Months 10 Hours
6 Months - 5 Years 12 Hours
5 - 10 Years 15 Hours
10 - 15 Years 18 Hours
15 and Over 19 Hours

Maximum PTO bank: 400 hours
Sick and Vacation
The sick and vacation leave plan provides two separate banks, one for sick leave and one for vacation leave.


Eligible employees hired prior to January 1, 2010 who remain continuously employed by the City and who did not voluntarily elect to receive PTO benefits.
Sick and Vacation Monthly Accrual Table

Years of Consecutive Service Sick Earned Monthly
Vacation Earned Monthly
0-5 Years 8 Hours 8 Hours
5-10 Years 8 Hours 10 Hours
10-15 Years 8 Hours 12 Hours
15 Years and Over 8 Hours 14 Hours

Maximum vacation bank: Under 10 years=288 hours, 10 years and over=336
Maximum sick bank: 960 hours

Bereavement Leave

Employees who receive PTO benefits shall be entitled to use up to forty (40) hours of paid bereavement leave because of the death of a member of the employee’s immediate family. This forty (40) hours of bereavement leave shall not count against the employee’s PTO bank.

Employees in the sick and vacation leave plan may use up to forty-eight (48) hours of their accrued sick leave hours due to the death of a member of the employee's immediate family. 

Holiday Leave

The City provides eleven (11) paid holidays per year to eligible employees.
  • New Year's Day (January 1);
  • Martin Luther King Day (third Monday in January);
  • Washington's Birthday (third Monday in February);
  • Cesar Chavez Day (last Monday in March);
  • Memorial Day (last Monday in May);
  • Independence Day (July 4);
  • Labor Day (first Monday in September);
  • Veterans' Day (November 11);
  • Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November);
  • Christmas Day (December 25);
  • Personal holiday (one (1) personal holiday on a date agreed upon by the employee and the City to be used within the calendar year). 

Other Paid Leave
Eligible employees may also be eligible for paid court leave, election leave, administrative leave and military leave.

 Contact Minimize
For questions specific to leave, contact:
Pete Garritt
HR Supervisor

For questions about anything related to pay, contact:

City and County of Denver FAQs

UnitedHealthcare Incentives for Health SM

What is “Incentives for Health"?

Incentives for Health is a program from United HealthCare designed to help members understand their health status and support them in making positive lifestyle and behavior changes. Participation in the program requires three steps:

(1) completing your health assessment online at

(2) having your annual wellness exam with your doctor and meeting any required targets and

(3) completing the Health Action Form (HAF) that you received as part of your welcome package.

If it is unreasonably difficult due to a medical condition or medically inadvisable to meet a specified target requirement, you will be provided a reasonable alternative standard to meet the program requirements. Participation in the program is voluntary. If you do not complete the program requirements you are not eligible for the incentive.

Who is responsible for submitting the Health Action Form to UnitedHealthcare?

You are responsible for submitting the HAF to UnitedHealthcare. You can bring the form with you to your annual doctor visit. The doctor will fill in your height, weight, blood pressure, lab values and sign the form. The form can be mailed or faxed directly to UnitedHealthcare at 866-312-8857.

The mailing address is:
1150 5th Ave SE
Hutchinson, MN 55350-7023

What if I already have a physician-prescribed plan of action?

Your doctor will simply need to complete the Health Action Form and sign it, attesting to your current treatment plan.

Are there any special documentation requirements?

Yes, there is a Health Action Form that must be completed by your doctor and sent to UnitedHealthcare. Please find this form on the Incentives for Health website located at

Do I have to go to my doctor?

However, if you had a physician visit within 3 months before the start of your plan year (November through January), just have your doctor complete the Health Action Form with your results.
You can download the form from the Incentives for Health website, have your provider fill it out, and mail or fax it in.

Do I need to sign up for Incentives for Health?

No registration is required. You are automatically enrolled in the program.

How can I change the email address that is associated with my account?

You can change your email address by editing it on the Your Account page or at the Employee Search page.

How will I know if my HAF has been received?

Within ten (10) days of receiving your Health Action Form, United HealthCare will send you a letter confirming that your information has been received and whether or not it is complete.

You may also check if your information has been received by logging into the incentives for health website and clicking on the "Your Scorecards" tab.

I lost my username and password. What should I do?

Please contact us at (877) 737-7175 and we will be able to assist you.

My account is locked. How do I unlock my account?

Please contact us at (877) 737-7175 and we will be able to assist you.

The information on my account is not correct. Can I edit my account information?

Yes. You may be able to edit information on your account.

These changes, however, do not affect either your healthcare provider’s records or your employer’s record.

If you need to make a change to your permanent records, please contact your Human Resources department.

If your health results are incorrect, please submit a revised Health Action Form, signed by your physician so that the changes can be documented.

What do I need to do to view my results online?

You should have received your user name and password by mail. If you did not, please call (877) 737-7175.

What is my personal Scorecard?

Your personal scorecard is data from your health assessment and Health Action Form that will be tracked each year for the Incentives for Health program.

The scorecard will show you if you have met the required targets or whether or not you have made progress toward health targets from the prior year.

You can view and/or print your scorecard under the scorecards tab at the top of the page.

What is the deadline to complete the program requirements?

All program documentation must be received by UnitedHealthcare by October 31.



Does my family need to participate in this program too?

During 2014 spouses and dependents are not eligible to participate.