Heat Wave Help helps people afford a portion of their summer utility bills and helps pay for heating and cooling device repairs when no other organization is able to assist. Heat Wave Help is available June 1 - Sept. 30. Qualifying households can receive up to $200 for utility costs or up to $1,000 for heating or cooling appliance repairs including fans.This program is funded by Xcel Energy and Denver Human Services.
- Denver County resident
- You must reside at the home that you are asking for energy assistance
- Your gross wages, income before taxes, must below 225% Federal Poverty level income guidelines according to household size
- You cannot have received Heat Wave Help from Denver Human Services within the past two (2) years.
- If heating or cooling repairs/installations are needed, you must apply for the Crisis Intervention Program, 1-866-HEAT-HELP (866-432-8435), and be denied before your application will be approved.
- You must seek all available resources for assistance prior to your application being approved.
- Heat Wave Help funds can be used to supplement other funds to meet a households needs.
Steps to Apply
- Contact at least two local agencies to see if they can provide financial assistance for your utility bill. If there is no funding available, document the following information: name of organization, name of representative with whom you spoke, date, time and phone number. A good resource to find local agencies is to call 2-1-1.
- Make a copy of the following information: valid ID card, proof of Denver residency, proof of last four weeks of income and documentation of two local agencies that could not provide assistance.
- Download or pick up an application from Denver Human Services, 1200 Federal Blvd., Room 1026 between June 1 - Sept. 30
- Fill out the application, include a copy of supporting paperwork and submit it by mail, fax or in-person
-By Mail: DHS Heat Wave, P.O. Box 40609, Denver, CO 80204
-By Fax: 720-944-4898
-In-Person: Denver Human Services, 1200 Federal Blvd., 1st Floor, Room 1026