Heat Wave Help helps people afford a portion of their summer utility bills and helps pay for heating and cooling device repairs when no other organization is able to assist. Heat Wave Help runs annually from May 1 – Oct. 31. Qualifying households can receive up to $200 for utility costs or up to $1,000 for heating or cooling appliance repairs including fans.This program is funded by Xcel Energy and Denver Human Services.
Before you complete the application, please call 1-866-HEAT-HELP (866-432-8435) to determine if there are any other resources that can assist you with your utilities, shut-off notice or heating and cooling appliance repairs. Denver Human Services has the sole discretion to determine if assistance will be granted and the amount. Assistance will only be granted when funds are available and people meet eligibility requirements.Assistance will be paid directly to the vendor.
- Denver County resident
- You must reside at the home that you are asking for energy assistance
- Your gross wages, income before taxes, must below 225% Federal Poverty level income guidelines according to household size
Each additional person: +$716.00
- You cannot have received Heat Wave Help from Denver Human Services within the past two (2) years.
- If heating or cooling repairs/installations are needed, you must apply for the Crisis Intervention Program, 1-866-HEAT-HELP (866-432-8435), and be denied before your application will be approved.
- You must seek all available resources for assistance prior to your application being approved.
- Heat Wave Help funds can be used to supplement other funds to meet a households needs.
Applying for Heatwave Help
Step 1: Download and complete the Heat Wave Help Application
Step 2: Provide a copy of the following documents or information with your application
- Picture ID for the adult applicant
- Proof of residence (utility bill, lease or mortgage statement)
- Verification of your income or pending income for the past month (ex: check stubs, pensions, spousal support, public assistance or other income)
- Two (2) repair estimates, if applying for heating or cooling device repairs
- Requested verification information is due within ten (10) calendar days of this application or the application will be denied.
Step 3: Submit your application and supporting documents via the mail, drop box or fax:
- PO Box 40609, Denver CO 80204
- Drop off - place application at the drop box at Denver Human Services, 1200 Federal Blvd., Denver (located in the Self-Service Room, 1st Floor)
- Fax it to 720-944-4899
Step 4: Wait to hear from a Heatwave Help representative to hear if your request has been approved, denied or needs more information
If your application is denied the decision cannot be appealed.