Keep Denver Beautiful
offers the opportunity for volunteers to participate in leadership activities. This may include working with diverse groups to help them clean their communities, going from door to door in your own community or providing oversight to volunteer groups. A great opportunity for college and high school students, or those who enjoy working with groups.
Project leadership – Learn the ins and outs of leading a successful cleanup. Project leaders orient and monitor volunteers on cleanup safety, direct them as needed and provide general leadership support. Project leadership involves the training and monitoring of volunteer cleanup groups in safety and providing direction in coordination with Keep Denver Beautiful. Additionally, project leaders often help facilitate group discussions while at cleanups.
Occasional Outreach – Every planned cleanup needs to be promoted. Flyers require distributing and neighbors need to be informed. When a cleanup is scheduled in your neighborhood, we can use your help to get the word out.
School and club presentations – Facilitate group experiences exploring the social, economic and ecological issues about:
- The magnitude of urban litter and waste and how it impacts our communities,
- The waste stream (what happens to that glass bottle from the beginning to the end)
- Denver’s approach to urban waste and graffiti,
- Taking ownership of your neighborhood.
Ongoing training is provided by Keep Denver Beautiful for Project Leaders/Outreach volunteers. Minimum age is 16 and volunteers must be willing to commit to several cleanups and/or presentations before participating in training.
Keep Denver Beautiful projects and outreach efforts offer the chance to learn and practice presentation, group facilitation, leadership and community organizing skills.
Additional learning opportunities abound in the following areas:
- Cleanups offer the chance to explore details of the urban environment that often go unnoticed.
- Cities are part of our ecosystems and beautification projects help to solidify understanding of these complex relationships.
- The diverse cultural, economic and social environment of Denver provides occasion to develop personal knowledge of the opportunities and challenges facing urban communities.
- Joining in organized cleanups also presents the opportunity for positive interaction with the diverse peoples from Denver’s neighborhoods.
Call Keep Denver Beautiful at 720-865-6800.
Contact TeamStein for more information on the above picture and the national "No Butts About It" Campaign.