|Mayor Hancock and the City and County of Denver Celebrate Exceptional Employees
DENVER – Mayor Michael B. Hancock today joined City and County of Denver employees to recognize and celebrate those who took the extra step in delivering a world class city where everyone matters.
The annual 5281 Awards luncheon, emceed by local comedian Sam Adams, was held at the Seawell Grand Ballroom at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts. Mayor Hancock, Career Service Authority Executive Director Nita Mosby Henry, District 4 Councilwoman Peggy Lehmann, Clerk & Recorder Debra Johnson and youth speaker Lilly Plotkin helped present awards to 10 individuals and six teams for their significant contributions to the City in 2011.
“These outstanding individuals and teams have displayed extraordinary work and commitment to serving our customers, the people of Denver,” Mayor Hancock said. “They have personified what it means to deliver a world-class city where everyone matters, and for that, we thank them.”
CLICK HERE for a list of Award Winners
The 5281 Awards ceremony honors individual employees and teams who have shown great leadership through their accomplishments, as well as those who have laid the foundation upon which future improvements and efficiencies will be built.
“Leadership belongs to all of us and is held by each of us,” said Mosby Henry. “The first responsibility of a leader is to authentically define reality. The last is to say ‘thank you.’ In between it all, as City leaders we are servants to the people and should demonstrate the highest degree of selflessness in all we do.”
Winners were chosen using the following criteria:
1. City's Five Goals - recognizing individuals and teams who have helped the City reach one or more of the City’s Five Goals:
- Bring fiscal sustainability and responsibility to city government
- Drive private-sector economic growth and job creation
- Improve education and opportunities for all kids
- Restore public trust and confidence in the Police Department and all city agencies
- Provide the highest level of customer service
2. STARS - recognizing individuals or teams who have exemplified STARS values:
- Service to Customers
- Respect for self and others
3. Greenprint Denver Sustainability - recognizing individual or team actions that promote Greenprint Denver's Action Agenda.
- Improve resource efficiency (fuel/energy, materials, water, and natural resources)
- Advance triple bottom line actions (economic, social, and environmental) of City activities
- Reduce adverse environmental impacts to air, land, and water through:
- Save or enhance natural resources
- Drive energy or fuel efficiencies
- Improve the community
- Reduce greenhouse gases
Local comedian Sam Adams was chosen as the master of ceremonies for the event. Adams is a musician, sports journalist and actor who started stand-up comedy in 2001. He was a winner at the 2009 Great American Comedy Festival and is best known for his “clean” comedy routines.
To read a brief description of each award winner and to view photos of the event, visit DenverGov.org/5281.