|Mayor Hancock Sets Wager with Seattle Mayor Murray
DENVER – Mayor Michael B. Hancock today placed a friendly mayor-to-mayor wager on the Super Bowl with Seattle Mayor Ed Murray.
- Mayor Hancock is again wagering a sampling of Denver’s amazing green chile (it’s good luck!) from the following local, venerated restaurants: Jack -N- Grill, Little Anita’s, La Casita, The Original Chubby’s, El Taco De Mexico, and Brewery Bar. He also wagered a hoodie, ball cap and skis handmade by Denver’s locally grown Icelantic Skis.
- Mayor Murray is wagering salmon and Dungeness crab, a road bike from Seattle’s Rodriguez Bicycles, and a piece of blown glass art by Seattle’s own Dale Chihuly.
“All of Denver will be watching the Super Bowl this year, as it is certain to be one for the books,” said Mayor Hancock. “The Seahawks and their top-ranked defense will face our Broncos – the greatest, most high-powered offense to ever take the field. Given that matchup, I’m fairly confident that what I’m putting on the line isn’t going anywhere.”
“Yesterday was a great Sunday for Seattle, as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis took home the most Grammy awards ever for a Seattle-based artist,” said Murray. “Next Sunday – Super Bowl Sunday –will be a great Sunday for Seattle too. We’re confident in our Seahawks – and as Mayor, I’m ready to put a little something on the line today.”
The two mayors have also agreed to raise the stakes and include a charity element in their Super Bowl wager.
- Should the Broncos win, Mayor Murray will auction off a blown glass piece by Seattle’s own Dale Chihuly to benefit Denver’s Road Home as well as wear Broncos PJs on PJ Day this Feb. 6 to raise awareness for Denver’s Road Home and help Denver put homelessness to bed.
- Should the Seahawks win, Mayor Hancock will auction off a Denver-themed item to support the Seattle-based Lifelong AIDS Alliance, and will wear an ensemble put together by the Lifelong AIDS Alliance thrift shop, in the spirit of rap artist Macklemore’s hit song.
Mayor Hancock also thanked the hundreds of Broncos fans who joined him and Gov. Hickenlooper yesterday to wish the Broncos good luck as they head to New York (see photo attached). To keep the fandemonium going, the Mayor has declared this entire week United in Orange, Time to Ride Week (Jan. 27 – 31) and invites fans to continue supporting by posting on the Mayor’s Facebook page their best picture or video of:
- TODAY – Broncos Touchdown Dance
- Tuesday – Broncos Pet
- Wednesday – Broncos Kid
- Thursday – Broncos Souvenir
- Friday – Broncos SUPER United in Orange – Show us your best interpretation of Broncos Nation
The city will post the fans’ videos and photos on the 14th street jumbotrons on Friday, Jan. 31 – including the touchdown dances.