What is Denver’s Countdown to Kindergarten (C2K)?
C2K is a program in Southwest Denver designed to improve third-grade reading scores and overall educational achievement for at-risk students. C2K provides a seamless transition from child care and preschool to kindergarten in order to maximize and build upon gains made.
First Year Goals
C2K’s first year focuses on nine Southwest Denver elementary schools:
- Align expectations, assessments, and educational opportunities around a common definition of kindergarten readiness.
- Improve communication between child care, preschool, and elementary school systems.
- Provide professional development opportunities for preschool directors, teachers, and principals.
- Engage parents in workshops and other activities that assist them in supporting a seamless and effective transition to kindergarten.
- Measure program effectiveness in order to improve services and replicate the work in other parts of the City.
Plus their ECE programs, and select neighborhood child care providers and preschools.
- CMS (Schenck)
C2K is supported by the Denver Education Compact
Launched in October 2011 by Mayor Hancock, The Compact is a collaboration between 20+ key Denver institutions to create a robust educational continuum for Denver’s youth, from cradle to career.