Denver Area Receives $12.5 million Homeland Security Grant

Denver Area Receives $12.5 million Homeland Security Grant

 
10/27/2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, October 27, 2003

CONTACT:
Lindy Eichenbaum Lent
720-865-9016
lindy.e.lent@ci.denver.co.us
CONTACT:
Dan Hopkins
303-866-6324

Denver Area Receives $12.5 million Homeland Security Grant

Governor Bill Owens and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper joined elected officials and public safety personnel from the Denver metro area Monday at Denver’s City and County Building to announce that a $12.5 million Urban Area Security Initiative grant is being awarded to the Denver metro area.

"As core recipient of this grant, Denver has the responsibility of reaching out to other jurisdictions,” Governor Owens said. “That outreach has been significant and I commend Mayor Hickenlooper and his staff for their efforts. This demonstration of teamwork and cooperation could well be a model for other urban centers throughout the country."

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Office for Domestic Preparedness is allocating $15,568,474 to the State of Colorado. The state retains 20% to provide direct assistance to the metro area and is allocating the remaining 80% to the Denver metro area. The funds will be used for (1) planning, assessment and strategy development, (2) equipment acquisition, (3) training, (4) exercise support, (5) administration, and (6) operational activities.

“These funds will be a tremendous help in ensuring that our region’s medical and safety personnel have the training, personal protective equipment, response vehicles and integrated communications systems they need to protect our region’s safety,” Mayor Hickenlooper said. “Denver is grateful to receive and share this funding to create and support an effective regional emergency response to incidents of terrorism or natural disaster. It is an investment in our security infrastructure that we hope we never have to use.”

Denver will share the $12,454,779 grant with the following 22 contiguous jurisdictions: Adams County, Commerce City, Greater Brighton Fire District, Greenwood Village, North Washington Fire District, South Adams Fire District, Southwest Adams Fire District, Arapahoe County, Aurora, Cherry Hills, Sheridan, Cunningham Fire District, Englewood, Glendale, Littleton, Littleton Fire District, South Metro Fire District, Jefferson County, Arvada, Lakewood, West Metro Fire District and Wheat Ridge.

"This sends a message to our citizens that - when it comes to their safety and protection - there are no city limits,” Governor Owens said. “There are no county lines. We have replaced boundaries on a map with a commitment from law enforcement, fire protection and the medical community to come to the aid of our citizens and to the aid of one another."

# # #


Posted on Oct 27, 2003 (Archive on Nov 26, 2003)
Posted by chani  Contributed by chani
Return    

Feedback