|Mayor Hancock Convenes First Meeting of the Denver Children’s Cabinet
DENVER – Mayor Michael B. Hancock and Office of Children’s Affairs Director Lindsay Neil today convened the first meeting of the Denver Children’s Cabinet, a group of city department and partner agency leadership brought together to align and streamline city programs, services and investments to best serve Denver’s children and youth.
“The future of Denver depends on the opportunities that we provide our children and youth, and this group will work to focus the city’s collective resources to support every child from cradle to career,” Mayor Hancock said. “By using a collective, data-driven framework to accomplish goals, we’re going to break down barriers and deliver a better, smarter Denver for all our children.”
Announced at Mayor Hancock’s State of the City address on July 16 and established through Executive Order 139, the Children’s Cabinet will be chaired by Director Lindsay Neil and support the work of the refocused Office of Children’s Affairs. Members of this group will be responsible for developing and providing policy guidance, coordinating and integrating services across city agencies and key partners, and developing strategies to remove the barriers that stand in the way of Denver children and youth.
“We will establish metrics by which we can measure progress towards desired goals through the work of the Children’s Cabinet,” Neil said. “This group will drive intentionality throughout Denver’s programs and processes, and help to close the opportunity gap for Denver’s kids – our most valuable assets.”
At the first meeting, members received a presentation on the current state of Denver children and youth, and an overview of the Cabinet’s structure, membership responsibilities and initial indicators the group will use to measure progress.
Inaugural Children’s Cabinet members include:
- Director of Children’s Affairs
- Manager of Denver Human Services
- Manager of Parks and Recreation
- Manager of Safety
- Manager of Community Planning and Development
- Chief of Police
- Director of Corrections and Undersheriff
- Manager of Finance
- Manager of Environmental Health
- Director of Economic Development
- Chief Performance Officer
- Director of the Office of Strategic Partnerships
- Director of Development Services
- Director of Denver’s Road Home
- Director of Career Service Authority
- City Council Representative
- City Librarian
- Director of Denver Housing Authority
- Director of Community Health Services, Denver Health and Hospital Authority
- Denver Public Schools representative
- Denver Preschool Program representative
- Scientific and Cultural Facilities District representative
Meetings of the Children’s Cabinet will be held on a monthly basis. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2012.