|2014 Payroll Updates
To start the New Year out right, we would like to inform you of important dates and updates for 2014. In this email you will find:
- Tax updates
- Payroll calendars
- Just under 14 weeks to use Comp Time before pay outs occur
- 2014 Mileage reimbursement rates
Annual consent to receive your Form W-2 is due
In order to receive your Form W-2 electronically, you must consent to print your form through DOT by Friday, January 10th. Even if you received your 2012 Form W-2 electronically, you must consent again by 1/10/2014, as this is required annually. By consenting to print your 2013 Form W-2 through DOT, you will obtain your Form W-2 up to two weeks earlier than employees who receive theirs through the mail. For instructions and additional information, please check out our Electronic Form W-2 webpage.
Check your address
Now is a good time to make sure that your address is up-to-date with the City, even if you choose to receive the Form W-2 electronically. To verify your address, please review your most recent pay check stub. For addresses that need updating, learn how to update your address on our Update your Profile website.
Claiming “exempt” from withholdings
If you claim “exempt” from withholding, you must submit a current year W-4 form at the beginning of each year, no later than February 15th, if you do not, your exemptions will automatically be reset to “Single” and “0”.
2013 earnings compensated in 2014
On January 3, 2014, you will receive a paycheck for 12/15/2013 – 12/28/2013 earnings. Since these earnings will be compensated in 2014, they will count toward your total 2014 earnings for tax purposes.
Find holiday and bi-weekly pay period schedules on our Payroll Dates webpage.
Comp Time Payout scheduled for April 25, 2014 paycheck
The CS rule regarding Compensatory Time (Career Service Rule 9-100, A, 2-a) states that “All accrued compensatory time shall be used by March 31st or paid out in cash by the final pay period of April of that year”. Any comp time balance as of the end of the day, Monday, March 31st will automatically be moved to the Comp Time Payout bank for payment processing.
Supervisors, please follow the instructions below to determine if there are employees with a comp time balance:
*You can also export this information to excel by selecting “Export to Excel” under “Actions.” *
- In the Manage My Employees workspace, expand the additional work area for Accruals.
- In the Show field, make sure you have “All Home”.
- In the Time Period field, choose the specific date; March 31, 2014 (will default to TODAY).
- Click Refresh if necessary – this will pull up all accruals for the employees listed.
- Click on the header “Vested Ending Balance” to sort this balance in descending order.
- Click on the header “Accrual Code” to sort the balances by the accrual type.
- Scroll down to Comp Time balances.
- The Vested Ending Balance column is the amount of time that is scheduled to be paid out if it is not used by March 31st, 2014.
Mileage Reimbursement rate to decrease for 2014
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2014, the standard mileage rate for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be 56 cents per mile for business miles driven. For additional information, please visit the Standard Mileage Rates for 2014 IRS webpage.
All miles driven in 2013, must be entered on the employee’s timecard by 12/31/2013. Any miles driven in 2013 not entered by 12/31/2013, must be submitted on a Bi-Weekly Mileage Summary Form to PayrollDivision@denvergov.org by Thursday, January 16, 2014, for proper processing.
Posted on December 19, 2013 (Archive on February 17, 2014)
Posted by milletx Contributed by milletx