|Information Regarding Dogs in Parks
With warmer weather approaching and the anticipated increased use of Denver Parks, the Denver Police Department and the Denver Animal Control, wish to provide a comfortable, safe, and legal environment for dog owners using the park.
Important City of Denver (Revised Municipal Code) ordinances regarding dogs are summarized below:
- DRMC 8-16: Leash Law. Dogs must be controlled through the use of a leash. Fines currently range from $80 to $300, depending on number of times cited.
- DRMC 8-47: Disposition of Excrement: Excrement should be immediately removed. Fines currently range from $150 to $500, depending on number of times cited.
- DRMC 8-32: Rabies vaccination required: Current vaccination with proof of vaccination. Fines currently range from $100 to $500, depending on number of times cited.
- DRMC 8-61: License required: City of Denver dog license required. Fines currently range from $75 to $200, depending on number of times cited.
- DRMC 8-70/71: Spaying and neutering: Spaying and neutering required with an intact dog registration exemption. Fines currently range from $250 to $999, depending on number of times cited.
- DRMC 8-55: Pit bull prohibited. Mandatory court appearance. Dog impounded immediately.
The ordinances above are some but not all ordinances that may apply. Detailed information and exact language regarding these as well as all other ordinances can be found in the Denver Revised Municipal Code at the www.denvergov.org website.
The City of Denver currently has nine Dog Parks throughout the City. The Dog Park at E. Colfax Ave and Josephine St is approximately five blocks from Cheesman Park. Dog Parks, of course have different rules than do City parks. The intent of the Dog Parks is to provide a place for dogs to be off- leash. All the ordinances above pertain to the Dog Park except the dog being on leash. Additional rules unique to the Dog Park exist, including no one younger than 12 years of age is allowed within the Dog Park. All the rules regarding Dog Parks can also be found on the www.denvergov.org website.
To report violations, Animal Control can be reached using the Denver land line “311” number or 720.913.1333 for mobile users. The Denver Police Department non-emergency number is 720.913.2000, for emergencies call “911”.