|Denver Police arrest cell phone thief, warn citizens
Recent thefts of cell phones have prompted Denver Police to issue a warning to all Denver residents. Several female victims reported to police their cell phones were stolen from purses or taken from them while inside two different bars in the downtown area. None of the victims were injured. Officers developed information, contacted and arrested Osman Amhed Omar (D.O.B. 04-10-84) in connection with the crimes.
Thieves are constantly looking for opportunities to steal. The best way to protect yourself is to minimize those opportunities. Due to their growing popularity, cell phones are fast becoming a favorite target of thieves. Please find the below safety tips that can help prevent you from becoming a victim of cell phone theft:
Mugshot is not available at this time due to the ongoing investigation.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Thieves may be watching you.
- Use your cell phone security lock.
- Avoid becoming distracted by your cell phone conversation when walking on the street.
- Keep your cell phone out of sight. Don't hang it from your purse of jacket.
- Switch the ringer off to avoid attracting the attention of thieves.
- Never loan your cell phone to a stranger. In case of an emergency, offer to make the call for them.
- Consider using hands-free technology.
- If your phone is lost or stolen, report the loss immediately to your cell phone service provider and the police.