A survey of the monumentation of City Right-of-Way shall be undertaken as a part of the Design phase of all Capital Improvement Projects. This work consists of a diligent search for and recovery of Survey Control monuments from which the Right of Way or any land boundary can be calculated, described, or monumented, lying within the area of Project influence. These include but are not limited to: City of Denver Range Points and accessories, Public Land Survey System (PLSS) monuments, Right of Way (ROW) monuments, property boundary monuments and offsets, benchmarks, easement monuments, and other monuments that are required by law or regulation to be established and recorded by a Professional Land Surveyor (PLS). Information describing a “diligent search” for City of Denver Range Points and accessories can be found on the City Surveyor’s web page at Guidelines and Requirements for Range Points.
All recovered range points within the project influence shall be enclosed in a monument box which is brought to grade. Missing range points shall be reestablished and a temporary monument placed. A Survey Control Diagram shall be developed showing coordinate locations for all searched for, found, and set survey monuments. This Land Survey Control Diagram shall be reviewed by the City Surveyor and when approved shall become a part of the construction plan set. A survey shall be deposited with the City and County of Denver per state statute.
Include Revisions of Sections 625 and 629 in the Plan Specifications. Section 629 shall be specifically revised to include a detailed list of the monuments to be preserved and/or upgraded and the monuments to be set, per the Land Survey Control Diagram.
The following notes should be added to the General Notes for Surveying:
1. PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK ON THE PROJECT, THE CONTRACTOR’S SURVEYOR SHALL PERFORM A SURVEY TO VERIFY ALL SURVEY CONTROL POINTS, CITY OF DENVER RANGE POINTS, SECTION CORNERS, AND BENCHMARKS AS SHOWN ON THE SURVEY CONTROL DIAGRAM. THE CONTRACTOR SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPLACING ALL LAND SURVEY MONUMENTS DISRUPTED BY CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES OR BY NEGLIGENCE ON THE PART OF THE CONTRACTOR. THE CONTRACTOR IS REQUIRED TO FOLLOW COLORADO STATE LAW REGARDING SURVEY MONUMENTS. THE CONTRACTOR SHALL RETAIN A COLORADO LICENSED PROFESSIONAL LAND SURVEYOR TO RESET ANY AFFECTED SURVEY MONUMENTS. THIS WILL NOT BE PAID SEPARATELY, BUT SHALL BE INCLUDED IN THE WORK UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE IN SECTION 629. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
PUBLIC WORKS – SURVEY DEPARTMENT
ATTN: CITY SURVEYOR
201 W. COLFAX AVE.
DENVER, CO 80202
2. AFTER COMPLETION OF THE PAVING OPERATIONS, THE CONTRACTOR SHALL UPGRADE TEMPORARY RANGE POINTS WITH PERMANENT RANGE POINT MONUMENTS AT THE LOCATIONS AS INDICATED ON THE LAND SURVEY CONTROL DIAGRAM. SEE POINT NOS. XX, XX, XX, AND XX (XX TOTAL). MONUMENTS SHALL MEET CURRENT CITY AND COUNTY OF DENVER STANDARDS. SEE SECTION 629 OF THE SPECIAL PROVISIONS FOR MORE INFORMATION.
3. A SURVEY SHALL BE DEPOSITED WITH THE CITY AND COUNTY OF DENVER PER STATE STATUTE. CITY MONUMENT TIE OUT SHEETS SHALL BE PREPARED FOR ALL RANGE POINTS WITHIN THE PROJECT AND DEPOSITED WITH THE CITY SURVEYOR.
4. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY REMOVES, ALTERS, OR DEFACES ANY PUBLIC LAND SURVEY MONUMENT AND/OR BOUNDARY MONUMENT OR ACCESSORY, COMMITS A CLASS TWO (2) MISDEMEANOR PURSUANT TO STATE STATUTE C.R.S. SECTION 18-4-508.
5. ALL STATIONS AND OFFSETS SHOWN ON THE PLANS ARE TO THE CONTROL LINES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. THE USE OF CONTROL MONUMENTS FOR CONSTRUCTION STAKING OTHER THAN THOSE SHOWN ON THE PLANS OR APPROVED BY THE PW DEPT IS PROHIBITED, AND USE OF SUCH MONUMENTS IS AT THE CONTRACTOR’S SOLE RISK.
6. PROPOSED FINISHED GROUND ELEVATIONS FOR ITEMS TO BE ADJUSTED, RESET OR MODIFIED SHALL BE FIELD VERIFIED BY THE CONTRACTOR.