Recently, Denver City Council and the Mayor approved the proposal to expand composting service beginning in January 2014. We greatly appreciate everyone who took the time to reach out to their City Council members to express their support for residential composting in Denver. Updated information on compost collection areas is now available at Compost Collection Schedule & Areas. Residents within those areas may pre-register for the program prior to the January 2014 launch. Also, homes in current compost service areas that were previously not able to subscribe because compost routes were full, will also be eligible to pre-register for the compost program.
Currently, the compost collection service program is only available to a limited number of homes in service areas that were part of the original pilot program areas launched in 2009. Today the compost service program areas cover about 10% of all the homes serviced by Denver Solid Waste Management. The 2014 expansion areas will cover about another 10% of all the homes serviced by Denver Solid Waste Management, bringing us to a total of about 20% of Denver homes within compost collection service areas. Over time, Denver Solid Waste Management hopes to continue expanding the compost collection service program until the program is available city-wide.
Thank you for your patience as we work to grow this program and please stay tuned for program updates.
Press Release 12-10-13