In his 11 years in Colorado’s top auditing job, the Colorado State Auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Pushed for the Great Colorado Payback program that returned almost $400 million to the rightful owners.
- Produced over 750 financial and performance audits.
- Identified savings of over $200 million.
- Managed budget increases to less than 1.5% per year.
- Twice recognized by the non-partisan National Conference of State Legislatures for his legislative program twice.
As a Board member, an Audit Committee expert, and as an auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Participated in hundreds of audits.
- Facilitated the merger between two publicly held corporations.
- Advised public pension plans.
Auditor O’Brien has led both private and public organizations, and provided expert financial advice to those and others.
He was honored with the 2016 Jonathan Holtzinger Award of Excellence by the Colorado Chartered Financial Analyst Society for demonstrating the highest standards as a financial and investment professional. Auditor O’Brien also received the 2017 Outstanding CPA in Government Impact Award from the American Institute of CPAs.