Auditor O'Brien was honored to receive the following recognitions for his professionalism and contributions to government auditing and leadership in government:
- 2022 David M. Walker Excellence in Government Accountability Award by the National Intergovernmental Audit Forum for his demonstrated leadership to improve government performance and accountability, implemented innovative techniques to create a positive future for government and the audit profession, and adherence to the core values of collaboration, professionalism, and integrity.
- Five Knighton Awards by the Association of Local Government Auditors for the best performance audit reports of the year among local governments in the U.S. and Canada.
- Knighton Distinguished Award in 2022 for the audit of passenger parking shuttles at Denver International Airport(PDF, 3MB).
- Knighton Exemplary Award in 2021 for the audit of Denver’s Neighborhood Sidewalk Repair Program(PDF, 8MB).
- Knighton Award for the 2019 audit of the Denver Preschool Program(PDF, 14MB).
- Knighton Distinguished Award for the first Affordable Housing audit(PDF, 7MB) from 2018.
- Knighton Exemplary Award for the 2015 Rocky Mountain Human Services audit(PDF, 5MB).
- 2018 ADA Access Award from the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition for his work on behalf of people with disabilities.
- 2017 Outstanding CPA in Government Impact Award from the American Institute of CPAs.
- 2016 Jonathan Holtzinger Award of Excellence by the Colorado Chartered Financial Analyst Society for demonstrating the highest standards as a financial and investment professional.
In his 11 years in Colorado’s top auditing job, the Colorado State Auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Pushed for the Great Colorado Payback program that returned almost $400 million to the rightful owners.
- Produced over 750 financial and performance audits.
- Identified savings of over $200 million.
- Managed budget increases to less than 1.5% per year.
- Twice recognized by the non-partisan National Conference of State Legislatures for his legislative program twice.
As a Board member, an Audit Committee expert, and as an auditor, Auditor O’Brien:
- Participated in hundreds of audits.
- Facilitated the merger between two publicly held corporations.
- Advised public pension plans.
Auditor O’Brien has led both private and public organizations, and provided expert financial advice to those and others.