Arts Liquor License

Issued to non profit arts organizations and municipally owned arts facilities (e.g. Denver Art Museum, Museum of Nature and Science) that offer performances or productions of an artistic or cultural nature.


Sales and service

  • Sale, service and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor by the drink for on-premises consumption only to patrons of such performances or productions
  • Need not have food or meals available
  • Cannot advertise the sale of alcohol anywhere on the licensed premises (interior or exterior)

Hours of operation

Seven days a week between 7 a.m. and 2 a.m.


Multiple interests

Multiple financial interests are allowed with arts liquor licenses. 

  • Other arts licenses
  • Beer and wine licenses
  • Brew pub licenses
  • Club licenses
  • Hotel and restaurant licenses
  • Optional premises licenses
  • Public transportation system licenses
  • Racetrack licenses
  • Retail gaming tavern licenses 
  • Tavern licenses
  • Vintner's restaurant licenses

Distance restriction

A 500-foot distance restriction from public and parochial schools, colleges, universities, and seminaries does not apply to new arts applications, but no public or parochial schools can contain an arts licensed premises.

The campus of a college, university, or seminary can contain a licensed premises.


Application fee:

State - $1,100 made payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue and liquor license fees

State - $1,200 for concurrent review and liquor license fees

State - $1,100 for transfer of ownership + liquor license fees

City -   $1,000 and other fees assigned at time of application

Colorado Bureau of Investigation fingerprinting:  $38.50 per person for anyone who owns at least 10% of the business entity.

License fees will be calculated at the time the application is submitted to the City.


Required documents

See documents required for a liquor license application.

A cabaret application is not required for a club license per Denver Revised Municipal Code Sec. 6-51(a)(2)

Additional documents could be required for this class of license. Check with the Department of Excise and Licenses for specific requirements.




The names of all managers of arts liquor licenses must be provided to the local and state licensing authorities whether a principal to the licensee or someone else manages the licensed premises.

Any changes in managers of arts liquor licenses must be reported to the city and the state within 30 days of the change in manager. 

All principals to a nonprofit arts organization must be qualified before a license can be issued.