Retail Liquor Store

Sale of beer, wine, and liquor by the package for off-premises consumption.  

Retail liquor stores can sell non-food items related to the consumption of liquor (e.g. soft drinks and mixers; tobacco products; coasters, glasses, stir sticks, etc.) 


Sales and service

  • Sale, service and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor in sealed containers for off-premises consumption
  • Can sell any nonalcoholic products if the annual gross revenues from such sales do not exceed 20%. (Effective July 1, 2016)

Hours of operation

Retail liquor stores can be open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to midnight. 

Multiple interests

Multiple ownership is not allowed with retail liquor store licenses except in an arts liquor license or an airline public transportation system license or ownership of up to two retail liquor store licenses that meet legal requirements. (Effective Jan. 1, 2017)

Distance restriction

A 500-foot distance restriction from public and parochial schools, colleges, universities, and seminaries applies to new retail liquor store applications.

A 1,500-foot distance restriction from another retail liquor store or liquor-licensed drugstore. (Effective July 1, 2016)


Application fee:

State - $1,100 made payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue plus liquor license fees

State - $1,200 for concurrent review plus liquor license fees

State - $1,100 for transfer of ownership plus liquor license fees

City -   $1,000.00 + other fees assigned at time of application

Colorado Bureau of Investigation fingerprinting:  $38.50 per person for anyone who owns at least 10% of the business entity.

License fees will be calculated at the time the application is submitted to the City.


Required documents

See documents required for a liquor license application.

Additional documents could be required for this class of license. Check with the Department of Excise and Licenses for specific requirements.



The names of all managers of retail liquor store licenses must be provided to the local and state licensing authorities whether a principal to the licensee or someone else manages the licensed premises.