A zone use permit might be required when submitting a special event liquor application to Excise and Licenses.
- A zone use permit is a document granting the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be defined as any activity, occupation, business or operation in a building or on a lot/tract of land.
Zone use permit not required for events held in public parks/buildings and on public streets or alleys:
- Zone use permits are not required for events in city parks and recreation centers as well as other Denver Parks and Recreation facilities, Denver International Airport, and Denver Arts and Venues facilities, or for events in the public right-of-way (public streets/alleys).
- Events that are scheduled in a public park or street should be coordinated through the Office of Special Events. OSE will work with the applicant and appropriate city agencies to ensure the event checklist is tailored to address the city’s licensing and permitting concerns.
Events inside a building already zoned for assembly
- For events inside a building on private property, a zone use permit is required to ensure the building is appropriately zoned and permitted to host a public assembly event. Click here for a list of zoning uses where events for public assembly are allowed as part of the primary permitted use.
- Applicants can request a copy of the most current zone use permit for the subject building or space by emailing email@example.com. Be sure to include the property address. The most current zone use permit can be submitted for multiple events, and does not need to be updated unless the zoning use has changed since the permit was issued.
Events in a building or outdoors (including parking lots) not zoned for assembly
- For events in a building or outdoors where the subject building or land is not currently permitted by zoning for public assembly events, applicants must apply for and receive a special event temporary zoning use permit.
The applicant might need to secure a fire safety permit. The Denver Fire Department will determine if a permit is needed for the liquor special event. If no permit is required, it will send the applicant a letter indicating such, which can be submitted in lieu of the fire permit with the special event liquor application to Excise and Licenses. If the Denver Fire Department determines a permit is required, the applicant must submit it along with the special event liquor application to Excise and Licenses.