Temporary Modification of Premises

Colorado Liquor Code Regulation 47-302 provides that, after a liquor or beer license has been issued, the licensee cannot make any physical change, alteration, or modification of the premises that materially or substantially alters the premises, or the use of the premises, from the plans and specifications, including walls submitted at the time of obtaining the original license without the previous written consent of the local and state licensing authorities.

How to Submit an Application

There are several ways to submit a new or renewal application to the Department of Excise and Licenses. If renewing, include your business file number.

  1. All license applications not available online can be submitted by email to EXLSubmit@denvergov.org. When applying, attach all documents to one email. Visit the email application process page for more information.
  2. You can mail your application with fees to:

City and County of Denver
Department of Excise and Licenses
201 W. Colfax Ave., Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

Make checks payable to: Manager of Finance

3. You can pay fees online or by phone after the application has been submitted. You will receive an invoice and you can pay virtually. Visit the online payment process page for more information.

For questions, email licenses@denvergov.org or call 311.

Steps for Temporary Modification of Premises Liquor License

Step 1: Previous approval required

  • A licensee must seek approval from the Department of Excise and Licenses and the state Liquor Enforcement Division before any material or substantial modification of a licensed premise.
  • Application forms must be submitted 30 days before the proposed event start date for temporary modifications.

Step 2: Required documents

  • Application forms must be submitted 30 days before the proposed construction start date.
  • Make sure no staples are in the documents when submitted to the Department of Excise and Licenses.
  • All documents must be submitted in duplicate.
  • Permit application and report of changes(PDF, 196KB)  (DR8442)
  • Authorization document such as a lease, deed or letter from the landlord on company letterhead authorizing for the temporary modification to take place;
  • Detailed sketch of the perimeter and interior of the premises.  The floor plan drawing is to be on paper that is 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches with dimensions included.  The diagram does not have to be to scale, but must reflect the area to be licensed, including depictions of the following:
    • Exterior areas showing control of the licensed premises (fences, walls, doors, gates, etc.) 
    • A diagram for each floor plan, outlined in red to indicate the liquor boundary before, during and after the event. The diagram must identify the location of the proposed licensed premises designating where alcohol will be sold, served, distributed or consumed before, during or after the event.
  • Authorization documents depending on property use:

Step 3: Fees

$300 for a temporary modification of premises ($150 build-up, $150 tear-down)

Fees can be paid by check or money order made payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. 

Step 4: Public hearing

Depending on the decisions made by the director of Excise and Licenses, a hearing could be held.

Step 5: Required Inspections

  • Development Services (720) 913-1311
  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3409
  • Department of Public Health and Environment (720) 913-1311
  • Department of Excise and Licenses (720) 913-1311 (Last inspection - Schedule when all other inspections have been passed.)

Step 6: Get your license

We will exchange your permit for your license when Excise and Licenses ise the last signer on the inspection list.