Applications for business licenses and amendments must be complete and include all required information and documents. Remember:
- All materials must be digital files and saved as a .pdf or .jpg file only. Do not include any other file types in your application. The Department of Excise and Licenses will not accept other file types.
- Legal documents included as part of the application must be properly signed and executed.
- All materials must be legible.
- In some cases, you may be required to combine documents and upload them in a single .pdf. You can use a free, online tool to merge documents into a single file.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Applicants can use this checklist(PDF, 66KB) to gather the required information and documents for their applications.
Important: If you are applying for multiple licenses at a single location or under a single entity name, you only need to complete the Licensed Establishment and Entity Registration records once. After you complete the initial Licensed Establishment and Entity Registration applications, you can add licenses to those records. Only create new Licensed Establishment and Entity Registration records for new locations and new entities.
For the Licensed Establishment Record, every applicant (with the exception of no-premises transporters and mobile hospitality businesses with no licensed premises in Denver) will provide:
- Any location name you may use to distinguish locations (if you have licenses at multiple locations)
- The name, date of birth, home address, phone number and email address for an onsite manager, who has the authority to make decisions regarding the licensed establishment and who has access to and control over the licensed establishment at all times
- Acknowledgement of Zoning Use Permit form(PDF, 109KB); do not submit a copy of a Zoning Use Permit. Copies of Zoning Use Permits will be rejected, and you will be required to submit an Acknowledgement of Zoning Use Permit form.
- Proof of legal possession of the premises, valid for at least 90 days from the date a complete application is submitted. Only one of the following must be submitted:
- A complete possession of property certificate(PDF, 133KB)(recommended); or
- A deed; or
- A complete, unredacted lease, including all amendments. If leased, the owner must provide written consent to lease the property to a marijuana facility, and the lease must be valid for at least 90 days from the date a complete application is submitted.
For the Entity Registration Record, every applicant will provide:
- Any trade names under which the entity operates
- Information for every owner licensee (natural person and entity licensed by the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division) associated with the license; this includes the name, address, date of birth (or the date of incorporation of the entity), position, state owner license number, email address, phone number, percentage owned, and voluntary demographic information for every owner.
- Please note: For owner-entities associated with the license, select “Holding Company” in the “Position” dropdown.
- A copy of a valid government-issued identification for each owner licensee (natural person) associated with the license, directly or through an entity
- A copy of organizational documents or corporate governance documents (articles of incorporation, by-laws, operating or partnership agreement)
For the Business File Number (license) Record, applicants will provide:
- A valid, related state business license number
- An alarm permit number (not required for no-premises transporters or mobile hospitality businesses with no licensed premises in Denver)
- A business employer identification number
- Business Tax Account ID (not required for transporter or off-premises storage facility). This is the Occupational Privilege Tax (OPT). It's the first six digits of that account number.
- Proof of eligibility for any social equity licensee(PDF, 86KB) listed in the ownership structure (required only if social equity licensees are listed in the ownership structure)
- A complete Social Impact Plan(PDF, 171KB)(must be on the city's provided template); required for every license (every license type, medical and retail)
- A copy of the city sales tax license (required only for stores and hospitality and sales businesses)
- A copy of the state sales tax license (required only for stores and hospitality and sales businesses)
- Proof of an occupational privilege tax license (required only for transporters)
Transporters that have a current Denver delivery permit and are transferring their license to the Online Permitting and Licensing Center will also need to provide:
Stores that have a current Denver delivery permit and are transferring their license to the Online Permitting and Licensing Center will also need to provide:
- A copy of the current Denver business license
Additionally, when completing a retail marijuana cultivation application, an applicant may also need to provide: