Licensed establishment

What is a Licensed Establishment?

The Department of Excise and Licenses has online applications for business licenses. It streamlines how the department collects information and reduces the amount of information needed when renewing or making changes to licenses.

The licensed establishment record captures information about where your business/organization operates. When filling out your first online business license application package, you must complete a licensed establishment application. If you complete another online business license application that will operate at the same location later, you will use your existing licensed establishment record.

 Basic information

Where can I find my licensed establishment record ID?

If you applied for a child care center, residential rental, retail tobacco store or marijuana license through the Permitting and Licensing Center, then you have a licensed establishment record ID. To find it:

  1. Log in to the Permitting and Licensing Center.
  2. Under “Business, Short-Term Rental, and Occupational Licensing," select “Renew or Manage.”

All records associated to your user account, including your licensed establishment and its corresponding record ID are listed. The record ID will be in a YEAR-LE-####### format (example: 2020-LE-1234567).

What is a zoning use permit or acknowledgement of zoning use permit?

Depending on the license, a zoning use permit might be required for the licensed establishment application portion. For more details on acquiring a zoning use permit, visit Denver Development Services.

If you have a marijuana business license, you can submit an acknowledgment of zoning use permit(PDF, 109KB) document.

If you do not have a Zoning Use Permit but need to submit your application for a business license, you may instead submit an Acknowledgement of Zoning Use Permit(PDF, 87KB) document.

No business license will be issued without a zoning use permit from Denver Development Services. The acknowledgement of zoning use permit(PDF, 87KB) only allows you to submit the application. It will remain pending until a zoning use permit is submitted.

What is an on-site manager?

An on-site manager is someone who has the authority to make decisions regarding the licensed establishment and must always have access to and control over the licensed establishment.

As part of the licensed establishment application, you can list one and up to three on-site managers. This information must remain up to date.

Is there a fee for this application?

There is no fee for a licensed establishment application. You must pay fees for individual business licenses. Fees vary by license type.

Does my licensed establishment expire?

Licensed establishment records expire. Each year you must renew your licensed establishment as well as any applicable business licenses.

To renew, you will review the information you previously provided and provide updated property information. For more information, read the associated license renewal page:

What is a location name?

A location name is used to tell locations apart. A company might have licenses at different locations. The location name will help you remember what location the license is for. For example, you can have a location name with the store number (example: store # 12347A).


The licensed establishment application

Process overview

The first time you use the application package license wizard, a licensed establishment application will be added to the application package. After submitting the application package, the department will try to review the information within seven to 10 business days. If further information is needed, the department will contact you via the email address(es) you provided during the application process.

Required information

To complete a licensed establishment application, you must provide the following information:

General establishment information

On-site manager information

The following information for individual(s) designated as on-site managers:

  • Name, date of birth, home address, and contact information 

Child care center

Marijuana business licenses: new applications

Marijuana business licenses: Renew/transitioning online

Keeping your information up to date

Update on-site manager information

When to file

You must file an application package update application to:

  • Remove an existing on-site manager
  • Add additional on-site managers
  • Update on-site manager's contact information
  • IDs of managers for child care center and residential rental property.

This must be filed within 30 days of any on-site manager change taking place.

How to file

You can file this online.

Step 1: Log in to the Permitting and Licensing Center. (Use the email and password you used to create the account.)

Step 2:  Go to "My Records."

Step 3: Find the licensed establishment license type you want to update.

Step 4: In the "Action" column, click the "Amendment" button that is next to the licensed establishment you want to update.

Step 5: Click on the button for "Update On-Site Manager Info."

Step 6: Follow the prompts and the pages. To move through the pages, click "Continue Application."

Watch the video below for the step-by-step process.