Hotel and restaurant with optional premises

Optional premises means outdoor sports and recreational facilities for the convenience of guests or the public (e.g., golf courses, ski resorts).

  • Located on or next to a hotel and restaurant liquor licensed establishment.
  • Fees are charged for the use of such facilities.

Sales and service

  • Sale, service and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor by the drink for on-premises consumption, including the outdoor facilities, but only to customers of the optional premises.
    • The approval of optional premises areas is discretionary with the city and state.
    • Written notice must be provided to the city and state before alcohol service on the optional premises no less than 48 hours or more than 180 days. (The days and hours of service must be specified.)
    • No more than three proposed permanent locations or more than three movable facilities.
  • Must have a full kitchen with adequate personnel, equipment and food to prepare meal. Meals must be available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., sandwiches and light snacks after 8 p.m.
  • Meals must be prepared on the licensed premises, unless prepared at a licensed kitchen under the licensee's exclusive management and control.
  • At least 25% of the gross annual income must be from the sale of food.

Hours of operation

Seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Multiple interests

Multiple ownership is legal with the following other classes of licenses:

  • Other hotel and restaurants with optional premises
  • Vintner's restaurant licenses
  • Hotel and restaurant and tavern liquor licenses
  • Retail gaming tavern licenses
  • Racetrack licenses
  • Brew pub licenses
  • Arts licenses
  • Beer and wine licenses
  • Club licenses
  • Public transportation system license
  • 3.2% beer licenses

Distance restriction

A 500-foot distance restriction from public and parochial schools is applied to new hotel and restaurant liquor applications.

This does not apply to colleges, universities, or seminaries. (This is by rule and regulation of the Department of Excise and Licenses.)

Read more(PDF, 65KB) about the distance restriction for hotel and restaurant licenses.


  • If someone other than a principal to the licensee manages the licensed premises, then the manager must register and pay $75 in fees to the city and the state.
    • Any changes in managers of liquor licenses must be reported to the city and the state within five days of the change and new managers registered within 30 days.
  • With multiple owned hotel and restaurant with optional premises, each location must have a separate and distinct manager.
  • Complete set of fingerprints.