Apply for a transfer of location of a marijuana business online

Overview of requirements

Marijuana businesses must submit a license transfer of location application, complete hearing and inspection requirements, and get state approval before changing locations. (A public needs and desires hearing is required only for marijuana stores, marijuana hospitality businesses, and retail marijuana hospitality and sales businesses that apply to transfer location.)

Review zoning and location requirements for marijuana businesses in the Marijuana Facility Location Guide. Refer to the Denver Revised Municipal Code, Chapter 6 Article V for rules about transfers of location. In particular, review Sec. 6-220 of the D.R.M.C. for some provisions applicable to transfers of location for marijuana businesses.

Submit a marijuana license change of location application

Step 1.Watch our online training videos

Our online training videos provide helpful and detailed overviews of the application processes. Online training videos for marijuana licenses are on our Online Training Videos webpage. The training videos show how to register for an account, how to complete licensed establishment and entity registration records, and how to apply for new business licenses or amendments.

Step 2.Zoning use permit

This license requires a zoning use permit. 

Instructions for requesting zoning use permits(PDF, 379KB).

A zoning use permit grants the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be any activity, occupation, business, or operation in a building or on a lot/tract of land.

Plan before leasing or buying property and before applying for a business license.

  1. Before contacting Zoning, email CPD Records to ask if there's an existing zoning use permit for your address. Allow up to 10 business days for them to respond to your inquiry.
  2. If they respond that there isn't a zoning use permit for your address, then contact Zoning to apply for a permit. They will tell you if you're zoned for the use. Allow up to 10 business days for them to respond to your inquiry.


Step 3.Log in to your online account

Log in to Denver's Permitting and Licensing Center. Use the username (email address) and password you used to transition your licenses online.

Step 4.Gather all required documents

Applications for transfers of location must be complete and include all required documents. (See required documents for each license type below.) Remember:

  • All materials must be digital files and saved as a .pdf or .jpg file. Do not include any other file types. The Department of Excise and Licenses will not accept other file types.
  • Legal documents must be signed and executed.
  • All materials must be legible.
  • Incomplete applications will be rejected.

Step 5.Navigate to Denver's Online Permitting and Licensing system

In Denver's Online Permitting and Licensing System:

  • Under Business, Short-Term Rental, and Occupational Licensing, click "Renew or Manage." This will take you to the "My Records" page.
  • To submit an amendment or transfer of location of your licensed establishment, look at the "License Type" column. Find the row that has the licensed establishment, record name and address you want to transfer. In the right column, click "Amendment."
  • Select "Initiate Transfer of Location" and click "Continue Application."
  • Read the introduction page and click "Continue."

This will begin and guide you through the application process.

Any time during the process, you can save and resume your application within 30 days. After 30 days, you will need to start again.

Revisit the Online Training Videos webpage to help guide you through the application

Step 6.Submit the application online

You must submit a complete application for:

  • A licensed establishment transfer of location record. It will capture information about where your business plans to operate (the new location) and which licenses you want to transfer.

Step 7.Pay the required fees

After submitting your complete application package, you must pay the required fees online. (Visit the Fees for Marijuana License, Permit and Amendment Applications webpage for more information.)

The fees will be in your account under the "My Records" tab. In the right column, there is a link to "Pay Fees Due." Click there and it will take you to the online payment screen

  • You can pay fees online with a Discover, Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card.
  • You can pay online from a bank account. To do so, you must have a routing number, account number, the account holder's name, and the account type.

If you can only pay in cash, email, and request an invoice. A licensing technician will provide an invoice for you to pay in cash, in person.

Print a copy of the payment screen. A receipt will not be emailed or mailed to you.

Step 8.City application review and inspections

The Department will review the city application and all required documents. The review could take 20 business days. It might take longer depending on the volume of applications pending before the Department. After the city's application review is complete, applicants must:

  • Complete a public needs and desires hearing (not required for all licenses). Marijuana stores, marijuana hospitality businesses, and retail marijuana hospitality and sales businesses must complete a public needs and desires hearing for a transfer& of location. It might take an extra 30 to 60 business days after the city application review for a public hearing to be scheduled and to occur. A licensing technician will notify the applicant when the hearing will be scheduled. They will provide the applicant with relevant hearing materials. The posting notice for the hearing must be posted for 30 days before the hearing. Read the posting notice instructions for guidance. A hearing officer will make a recommended decision after the hearing.
  • Complete inspections and get state approval. When the licensing technician's review is complete and if a needs and desires hearing results in a recommended approval, you will receive an inspection notice to complete the required inspections. For more information on inspections, refer to the inspection process information below. The Department will also need proof of state approval for the transfer of location before it approves the transfer of location and issues a new city license.

Step 9.After you complete the required city inspections

Email with:

  • The amendment record ID(s) for the transfer of location.
  • Proof of state approval for the transfer of location.
  • A request to close the amendment record ID(s) for the transfer of location.

Step 10.Excise and Licenses will update your record

A licensing technician will update your record with the new location. You will receive an email with a new certificate of licensure (reflecting the new location). This is your business license. The certificate of licensure is also available in your online account.

All applications will be administratively closed if they are not completed within 12 months.


These forms and documents are required. Applications must be complete and include all required documents. Legal documents included as part of the application must be signed and executed. All materials must be legible. Incomplete applications will be rejected. You must provide:

  • A burglar alarm monitoring contract for the new location.
  • A burglar alarm permit for the new location.
  • A copy of the city sales tax license for the new location. (Required only for stores and hospitality and sales businesses.)
  • A complete Social Impact Plan(PDF, 40KB) for the new location. (Must be on the city's provided template.) It is required for every license.
  • Proof of legal possession of the premises for the new location. Only one of the following must be submitted:
    • A complete possession of property certificate(PDF, 161KB); or
    • A deed; or
    • A complete, unredacted lease, including all lease amendments. If leased, the owner must provide written consent to lease the property to a marijuana facility. The lease must be valid for at least 90 days from the date a complete application is submitted.
  • A valid zoning use permit for the new location; or
    • An acknowledgement of zoning use permit(PDF, 109KB). An acknowledgement of zoning use permit can be used to submit a transfer of location application. A transfer of location will not be approved and licenses will not be issued if the applicant does not provide a valid zoning use permit for the new location.
  • A floor plan of the proposed premises. (See the requirements below.)
  • Information for an onsite manager, including their name, date of birth, home address, and contact information. (An onsite manager is anyone who has the authority to make decisions about the licensed establishment. They must have access to and control of the licensed establishment at all times.)

Floor plan requirements

Provide a floor plan, or multiple floor plans, drawn to scale on a standard 8 ½-inch-by-11-inch piece of paper. It is preferred and strongly recommended that you submit plans that have been prepared by a design professional. Separate floors must be shown on separate pieces of paper and clearly identified. For example, a basement, first floor, etc. The floor plan must be complete and accurate. The submission must include:

  • The physical layout of the establishment with the legibly labeled principal uses of each room in the premises.
  • The legible identification of all security cameras and DVR locations.
  • The intended licenses premises must be contiguous and outlined in red.
  • The intended limited access areas must be contiguous and outlined in green.
  • A legend or key must define the features on the map. This includes but is not limited to the red and green lines, and any symbol or marker used to identify security cameras.
  • Stores only: Each room that is restricted access area must be clearly labeled. It must identify point-of-sale stations and sales counter locations.
  • Modification of premises only: Copies of current and proposed floor plans must be included in the application. They must be combined in a single PDF. You can use a free, online tool to merge documents into a single file. The current copy must be labeled "CURRENT FLOOR PLAN" and the proposed copy must be labeled "PROPOSED FLOOR PLAN."
  • If you submit several floor plans to satisfy the requirements, the physical layout and room uses must be identical for each, showing the same section of the premises.


  • Licensed premises: The premises in possession of the licensee and within which the licensee is authorized to cultivate, manufacture, distribute, sell, store, transport, or test marijuana.
  • Limited access area: The contiguous area within the licensed premises where marijuana is grown, cultivated, stored, weighed, packaged, or processed.
  • Restricted access area: The area within the licensed premises where marijuana is sold, possessed for sale, or displayed for sale.

See examples of floor plans(PDF, 291KB).

Inspection status

Check your inspection status in the online Permitting and Licensing Center.

Inspection process and information

When a licensing technician's review of your transfer of location application is complete, they will provide an inspection notice. It's recommended you engage professionals to ensure you're in compliance with building, zoning, public health and fire prevention requirements. Review the non-comprehensive guide(PDF, 860KB) to common marijuana business license inspection requirements.

Inspecting agencies will digitally pass or fail your inspections. All inspecting agencies must pass your inspections before the Department can close your change of location records.

Public Health and Environmental Quality inspect only certain license types. Otherwise, the following inspections are required for most change of location applications:

Community Planning & Development: Zoning and neighborhood inspections

Community Planning & Development: Building Inspections Division

Fire prevention

Public Health & Environment: Public Health Inspections Division

  • Inspection required only for stores, manufacturing, testing, transporter, and off-premises storage facilities.
  • Schedule an inspection by calling 311 (if outside of Denver, call (720) 913-1311)

Public Health & Environment: Environmental Quality

  • Inspection required for only cultivation and manufacturing facilities.
  • Schedule an inspection by calling 311 (if outside of Denver, call (720) 913-1311)

Excise and Licenses (this cannot be scheduled until all other inspections have passed)

  • Schedule an inspection by calling 311 (if outside of Denver, call (720) 913-1311)