Property owners and managers

This page contains information for property owners and managers. It is for the residential rental property licensing program. It includes information on requirements to apply for the license.

Have any questions about the program or the application? See our FAQ page.

If you can't find what you're looking for, contact us.

Tenant Rights and Resources document

The owner or operator of the residential rental property must give a copy of Denver Tenant Rights and Resources (Spanish version) to the tenant. This happens when the lease is signed and if rent demand is served. It summarizes some of the rights and obligations of residential landlords and tenants in Denver.

License requirements

When is a license required?

A license is required for anyone offering, providing, or operating a residential rental property for 30 days or more. This includes any rental dwelling units on a single parcel.

Address information

Before hiring an inspector, property owners and managers must make sure they have a valid Denver address for the unit they are renting or having inspected. Questions about addressing should be emailed to or call 720-865-3002.

How many licenses do I apply for if I have multiple units?

  • Each single-unit property will need an individual license.
  • For multiunit properties, a single license can be issued for multiple units, addresses, or structures. They must be all located on a single or contiguous parcels and under the same ownership. Examples include a duplex/triplex with multiple addresses on a single parcel, two or more townhouses/rowhouses on the same parcel, an apartment complex with multiple buildings with different addresses on one parcel, or a large apartment complex with multiple buildings on two or more contiguous parcels, under one ownership.
  • For multiunit properties, any extra addresses associated with the property must also be listed on the application. Instructions on how to add extra addresses will be provided within the application. Any extra addresses not identified on a license cannot be used as a residential rental property under that license.

How do I apply for a license?

Fee exemption

Affordable or public housing properties could have their application and licensing fees waived. If the property falls into one of four categories. If you qualify for a fee waiver you may also qualify to submit an alternative inspection report. Find more information on our page for inspections and inspector.

(1) Owned in whole by, owned in part by, or leased and operated by a local, state, or federal government agency.

(2) Owned by or leased and operated by any organization that has been exempted from federal income tax as a non-profit organization in good standing under section 501 (c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, and has been designated as income-restricted housing in section 27-154(d).

(3) Affordable housing projects constructed with the support of any combination of federal, state or local financial resources. This includes private activity bonds, tax credits, grants, loans, or other subsidies to incentivize the development of affordable housing. This includes support from the affordable housing permanent funds created in section 27-150.

(4) Property restricted by law, contract, deed, covenant, lease, or any other legally enforceable instrument to provide at least 80% of the total housing units only to income-qualified household receiving low-income housing assistance.

If you qualify by one of the referenced criteria and are applying for a fee exemption, you must submit the following with your application:

  • Fee exemption affidavit(PDF, 121KB)
    • If property includes different addresses, list all addresses on affidavit. 
  • An affordability exemption document. This could be an affordable housing agreement, Land Use Restriction Agreement (LURA), covenant with restrictions, warranty deed with restrictions, Section 8 agreement, Operating Cost Adjustment Factor (OCAF), Housing Assistance Payment Contract (HAP), or Request for Tenancy Approval (RAFTA). Rent contract change documents are not accepted.

Inspection exemptions

See information on inspection exemptions on the inspections and inspector information page.

Advertising requirements

A residential rental property licensee must display the license number within advertisements.


Inspector and inspection information

Inspector and inspections information

See more information about inspector qualifications and inspection details on the inspections and inspector information page.