Security guard amendments and notifications

We recommend using Google Chrome or Safari browsers to complete the online application. 

Submit online

Step 1.When to submit an amendment or notification

Security guard licensees must submit an amendment or notification in the following instances: 

Add or remove employers or endorsements

  • Before working for a new employer, or before exercising the privileges of an endorsement, security guards must file and have approved an employer or endorsement change application.
  • Security guards must file an employer or endorsement change application within 72 hours of stopping work for any employer or surrendering any endorsement.

Notify Excise & Licenses of a conviction 

Notify Excise & Licenses of a use of force resulting in bodily harm

  • Security Guards are required to notify Denver Excise and Licenses within 72 hours if they are involved in a use-of-force incident that results in bodily harm. Only incidents that happen within the City and County of Denver need to be reported.

Update contact information

Request a replacement badge

  • If you have misplaced your badge, request a replacement immediately. The badge should be displayed while working as a security guard.

Step 2.Gather all required documents

Make sure you have everything from the "Required documents" section below.

Important notes to keep in mind about your documents:

  • All materials must be digital files saved as a .pdf or .jpg. Do not include any other file types. The Department of Excise and Licenses cannot accept other file types.
  • Use numbers or letters but not characters such as symbols (/ ? < > \ : * | “ ^) or spaces that could cause complications.
    • For example:
      • Good filename: drivers-license-name-2022.pdf
      • Bad filename: last name/ id.pdf
  • In some cases, you might need to combine documents and upload them in a single .pdf. You can use a free, online tool to merge documents into a single file. 
  • Legal documents must be signed, dated and executed. All pages of large legal documents (such as a lease) must be included in the application.
  • All materials must be legible. 
  • Incomplete applications will be rejected.

Step 3.Navigate to Denver's Online Permitting and Licensing Center

In Denver’s Online Permitting and Licensing Center:

  • Use this link or on the right side of this page to access the online licensing portal. At the "My Licenses" page, select "Amendment" for the license you want to update, then follow the prompts.

At any time during the application process, you can save and resume your application within 30 days. After 30 days, you will not be able to resume your application, and you will need to start again.    

Step 4.Pay required fees

If requesting replacement badge:

Step 5.City application review and next steps

Excise and Licenses tries to conduct an initial review of a complete application within seven business days. The review process might take longer if it is incomplete or requires police review (if applicable).

  • All application-related communications will be sent through email, from Do not respond to these emails as this inbox is not monitored.
  • If the application is incomplete, the applicant will receive a "notice of deficiency" email. This allows 14 days for corrections. License endorsement requests and incidents on a background check need police review.
  • All applications will be closed if they are not completed within 12 months.

Step 6.License issuance

Once approved, the applicant is emailed a copy of the security guard license. This allows the guard to begin operating under the new conditions. 

Adding an employer

Adding or amending a plainclothes endorsement

Adding a firearm endorsement

Adding an explosive detection canine endorsement

No documentation is needed to remove an employer or endorsement. 

Notify Excise and Licenses of a conviction

Notify Excise and Licenses of a use of force resulting in bodily harm

Legal name changes

If your legal name changes, please email a request to and include one of the following documents:

  • A certified copy of a marriage certificate indicating your new name
  • A certified copy of a final divorce decree in which the judge listed your desired name change
  • Other certified court documents granting a legal name change

No documentation is needed to request a replacement badge