Prosecution and Enforcement

Pace Courtroom Photo

We prosecute municipal crimes and traffic offenses and help crime victims safely navigate the criminal justice system. We also provide Denver residents with tools to help prevent crimes and provide alternative resolutions to traditional prosecutions.

  • We prosecute persons charged with municipal crimes including domestic violence, assault, shoplifting, trespassing, and traffic violations.
  • We handle nuisance abatement cases and licensing violations.
  • We help victims of crimes understand their rights and provide planning to help victims safely participate in the criminal justice process.
  • Our neighborhood prosecution team helps neighborhood organizations address criminal activity. 

U-Visa Certification

A U-Visa is a nonimmigrant status visa for undocumented victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. Congress created the U-Visa program in 2000. It is intended to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute cases of domestic violence and other crimes, while also protecting victims of crimes who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse due to the crime and are willing to help law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity. Undocumented victims submit a request for a U-Visa certification of helpfulness from the local law enforcement agency, which determines whether the victim qualifies for certification. If the request is certified, it is then submitted to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security for consideration. Certification for a U-Visa DOES NOT guarantee the granting of the visa. Federal law caps the number of U-Visas that can be issued nationwide per year. For more information about this program or to apply with the Denver City Attorney's Office, see the below information.

Click Here to View the U-Visa Certification Protocol Letter


Denver City Attorney's Office   
ATTN: U-Visa Certification Request
Prosecution & Code Enforcement
201 W. Colfax Avenue, Department 1207
Denver, CO 80202

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

Common Questions

Traffic Ticket Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The magistrate/judge said I needed to call your office before my next court date, who do I contact?

A: There’s no general need to call before court and we will have an offer available to you at your next court date without you needing to do anything. However, if you have a specific question, we are happy to help. Please review the frequently asked questions below and, if your question is not answered, feel free to call or email us.

Phone: 720-913-8050


Q: Can I have discovery for my case?

A: Yes, we will provide discovery upon request for cases that include a traffic offense. To receive instructions for receiving discovery, email and be sure to include your case number, name, and date of birth along with a message saying you are requesting discovery. For cases that only involve traffic infractions, court rules allow for discovery on the day of your Final Hearing. If you are not sure whether your case includes a traffic offense, feel free to request discovery and we will review for you.

Q: Can I provide you with proof of insurance?

A: Yes, and if you have given it to the court then we already have it. If you haven’t given it to us or the court, you can email it to and we will update your offer if appropriate. Please be sure to include your case number in the email.

Q: Is the offer on the ticket the best offer I’m going to get?

A: Yes, we don’t change the offer on the ticket unless there is new and substantial mitigating information.

Q: There’s no offer on my ticket, what do I do?

A: An attorney will review your case and have an offer ready for you at your next court date. This will be done automatically without you needing to do anything. If you need an offer sooner, you can email and an attorney will review your case and send you an offer.

Q: If I take a driving class can I get a better offer?

A: If a class is appropriate, the assigned attorney will automatically include it as part of the offer. There is not a standard reduction so taking a class when it’s not included likely won’t change the offer.

Q: Where do I find information about the driving class that’s part of my offer/plea?

A: Class information is available here:

 Name Ages   Location Phone Website
Alive @ 25 Ages 15-24  Various Locations (720) 269-4046 email:
AARP  Ages 55 Various Locations (303) 764-5995
ISAE 1&2 All Ages Various Locations (303) 433-1900
Driving with Care All Ages   2186 Holly St #107  (720) 971-8754
NCTI 1&2 All Ages Various Locations (303) 455-3553 
Street Smart Driving School All Ages   Various Locations (720) 400-3708  email:
Colorado Safety Association  All Ages

1114 W 17th Ave, Ste 150

Denver, CO 80204

(303) 373-1937


All Service Driving School All Ages  Various Locations  (720) 569-9651

English, Nepali, Hindu, Urdu, Punjabi, Bhutanese

Defensive Driving Schools may apply a $25 surcharge to any person referred to attend any level of Defensive Driving Class by the Court.

This fee is in addition to the normal class fee. Fees for all classes are non-refundable and non-transferable.

How do I file a complaint?

If you have any comments or concerns about an Assistant City Attorney, please contact Marley Bordovsky, Director of Prosecution, at 720.913.8057.

How can I get a protection order?

There are two ways to obtain a protection order/no contact order: a temporary protection order as part of the criminal case, or a permanent protection order in civil court. It is common for someone to get a temporary protection order in the criminal case, and then file for a permanent protection order in civil court.

Temporary Protection Order (Criminal Case): If you want a temporary protection order under the criminal case, contact a victim advocate in our office by calling 720.913.8020. This temporary protection order only lasts as long as the criminal case is open and it will automatically expire when the criminal case is closed.

Permanent Protection Order (Civil Case): If you wish to pursue a permanent protection order, you will need to obtain a civil protection order. In Denver, you may file for a protection order at 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday, at 1437 Bannock Street, Room 159, in the Denver City and County Building. You will be asked to provide the name of the defendant, where the defendant lives or works, information that shows why you are in fear for your safety, and you may be assessed a $25 fee. Call the Court with questions at 720.865.7275. Project Safeguard has staff on site that can offer assistance and can be reached at 303.317.4157.

How do I drop a protection order?

If you want to drop a protection order that was issued as part of a criminal case, contact a victim advocate in our office by calling 720.913.8020. If you wish to drop a protection order that was issued in civil court, you will need to return to that court to make that request. In Denver, you may contact the Court with questions at 720.865.7275.

How do I get restitution?

In criminal cases, you must make a request to the Victim Specialist or Assistant City Attorney prior to the conclusion of the case. You will be required to fill out a restitution form and provide documentation such as receipts, bills, estimates, etc. If you do not get the required documentation to our office in a timely manner, we may not be able to seek the restitution on your behalf and the case may conclude without consideration of your loss. If the defendant contests restitution, you may be required to come to court to testify. In traffic cases, the City Attorney’s Office does not seek restitution. Most damages are covered by insurance directly or under the “uninsured or underinsured motorist” policy. For any damages not covered by insurance, you may file a small claim case against the other driver. For more information, see:

What do I do if I think I have a warrant?

If you have a warrant for your arrest you have three options for clearing the warrant.

  • Turn yourself in to the Denver Police Department and be booked into jail. You will be brought before a judge, but more than likely you will spend a night in jail;
  • Post the full amount of the bond imposed and all required fees. To find the bond amount, you can look up your case online. You must go to the Bonding Office located on the first floor of the Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center, 490 W. Colfax Avenue to pay the bond. You will be given a new court date to appear.
  • Pay a warrant cancellation/docket fee of $100 and receive a new appearance date. The $100 fee is nonrefundable. You can do this online or appear and pay the fee at the Clerk’s Office in Room 160 of the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse, 520 W. Colfax Avenue or Room 135 of the City and County Building, 1437 Bannock Street. This will cancel your warrant and get your case back on the judge’s docket. Note: You may only use this option if you failed to appear for arraignment. (If your case is scheduled to be heard at 1437 Bannock Street and you failed to appear at a Disposition Hearing, you may also take advantage of this option.)

If you choose not to do any of these options, your warrant will remain active and you could be arrested at any time. The County Court Marshal’s actively work to arrest individuals who fail to appear or comply with a court order. You could also be arrested by other law enforcement officers if you are stopped or contacted. If you are arrested, you will need to post bond or wait to appear before a judge before you are released. The arrest will be a permanent part of your criminal record. If you have a warrant for your arrest because of a case in another court, you must contact the court that issued the warrant and inquire about their warrant cancellation policies.

Can I reschedule my court date?

Defendants: If you need to reschedule your court date, contact the courthouse where you are scheduled to appear for court. A court clerk can give you instructions how to request a continuance. You may need to “add-on” to the court docket prior to your scheduled court date, and/or file a Motion to Continue. Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse: 720.337.0410. City and County Building: 720.865.7840Victims and Witnesses: If you are a witness or victim in a case and you cannot appear for a scheduled court date, please contact the City Attorney’s Office at 720.913.8050.

I received a subpoena. What are my rights and obligations?

If you are personally served with a subpoena you are legally required to appear for court. If you do not appear in court, a contempt citation or a warrant for your arrest may be issued.

How do I get a public defender?

You must complete an application for the court’s review and approval. Please note that not all charges are eligible for the public defender – more minor charges that do not carry a jail sentence do not qualify for a public defender.

General Sessions: Follow the instructions: “COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY IN ORDINANCE CASES (D.R.M.C.)” at or go to Denver Office of the Municipal Public Defender and follow their instructions which are listed in English and in Spanish.  You may also call their office at (720) 865-2849 or email them at

Traffic: Instructions and application forms for a traffic public defender are available in the traffic courtrooms in the City and County Building at 1437 Bannock Street. Completed applications must be turned into the courtroom where your case is being heard.

How do I get the charges dropped?

Only the prosecutor can drop charges and/or dismiss a case. Prosecutors will speak with victims and witnesses about the case and any concerns.

How can I get my vehicle released?

When a vehicle is impounded, a civil public nuisance case is filed. The court reviews that case, and if the case is approved, issues a Temporary Restraining Order (authorization to hold the vehicle). After a Temporary Restraining Order is issued, you may reach a settlement agreement with the Denver City Attorney’s Office for release of the vehicle, or you may contest the impoundment through a formal court process. If your vehicle is impounded and you are the owner of record of that vehicle, you will receive a postcard from Vehicle Impound informing the owner that the vehicle has been impounded. Summons and complaints are mailed by first class mail to the address of the owner on the records of the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles (or any similar department of any sister state). Once the vehicle is impounded on an alleged nuisance offense, the city has forty-five (45) days from the date of impound to file the civil nuisance action. Depending on the nuisance offense, most cases can be settled within thirty (30) to sixty (60) days of impoundment.

How do I seal or expunge my record?

All requests must be filed with the Denver District Court. For additional information, see: