Prosecution and Enforcement

Pace Courtroom Photo

We prosecute municipal crimes and traffic offenses and help crime victims safely navigate the criminal justice system. We also provide Denver residents with tools to help prevent crimes and provide alternative resolutions to traditional prosecutions.

  • We prosecute persons charged with municipal crimes including domestic violence, assault, shoplifting, trespassing, and traffic violations.
  • We handle nuisance abatement cases and licensing violations.
  • We help victims of crimes understand their rights and provide planning to help victims safely participate in the criminal justice process.
  • Our neighborhood prosecution team helps neighborhood organizations address criminal activity. 

Common Questions

How do I file a complaint?

If you have any comments or concerns about an Assistant City Attorney, please contact Marley Bordovsky, Director of Prosecution, at 720.913.8057.

How can I get a protection order?

There are two ways to obtain a protection order/no contact order: a temporary protection order as part of the criminal case, or a permanent protection order in civil court. It is common for someone to get a temporary protection order in the criminal case, and then file for a permanent protection order in civil court.

Temporary Protection Order (Criminal Case): If you want a temporary protection order under the criminal case, contact a victim advocate in our office by calling 720.913.8020. This temporary protection order only lasts as long as the criminal case is open and it will automatically expire when the criminal case is closed.

Permanent Protection Order (Civil Case): If you wish to pursue a permanent protection order, you will need to obtain a civil protection order. In Denver, you may file for a protection order at 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday, at 1437 Bannock Street, Room 159, in the Denver City and County Building. You will be asked to provide the name of the defendant, where the defendant lives or works, information that shows why you are in fear for your safety, and you may be assessed a $25 fee. Call the Court with questions at 720.865.7275. Project Safeguard has staff on site that can offer assistance and can be reached at 303.317.4157.


How do I drop a protection order?

If you want to drop a protection order that was issued as part of a criminal case, contact a victim advocate in our office by calling 720.913.8020. If you wish to drop a protection order that was issued in civil court, you will need to return to that court to make that request. In Denver, you may contact the Court with questions at 720.865.7275.


How do I get restitution?

In criminal cases, you must make a request to the Victim Specialist or Assistant City Attorney prior to the conclusion of the case. You will be required to fill out a restitution form and provide documentation such as receipts, bills, estimates, etc. If you do not get the required documentation to our office in a timely manner, we may not be able to seek the restitution on your behalf and the case may conclude without consideration of your loss. If the defendant contests restitution, you may be required to come to court to testify. In traffic cases, the City Attorney’s Office does not seek restitution. Most damages are covered by insurance directly or under the “uninsured or underinsured motorist” policy. For any damages not covered by insurance, you may file a small claim case against the other driver. For more information, see:

What do I do if I think I have a warrant?

If you have a warrant for your arrest you have three options for clearing the warrant.

  • Turn yourself in to the Denver Police Department and be booked into jail. You will be brought before a judge, but more than likely you will spend a night in jail;
  • Post the full amount of the bond imposed and all required fees. To find the bond amount, you can look up your case online. You must go to the Bonding Office located on the first floor of the Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center, 490 W. Colfax Avenue to pay the bond. You will be given a new court date to appear.
  • Pay a warrant cancellation/docket fee of $100 and receive a new appearance date. The $100 fee is nonrefundable. You can do this online or appear and pay the fee at the Clerk’s Office in Room 160 of the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse, 520 W. Colfax Avenue or Room 135 of the City and County Building, 1437 Bannock Street. This will cancel your warrant and get your case back on the judge’s docket. Note: You may only use this option if you failed to appear for arraignment. (If your case is scheduled to be heard at 1437 Bannock Street and you failed to appear at a Disposition Hearing, you may also take advantage of this option.)

If you choose not to do any of these options, your warrant will remain active and you could be arrested at any time. The County Court Marshal’s actively work to arrest individuals who fail to appear or comply with a court order. You could also be arrested by other law enforcement officers if you are stopped or contacted. If you are arrested, you will need to post bond or wait to appear before a judge before you are released. The arrest will be a permanent part of your criminal record. If you have a warrant for your arrest because of a case in another court, you must contact the court that issued the warrant and inquire about their warrant cancellation policies.


Can I reschedule my court date?

Defendants: If you need to reschedule your court date, contact the courthouse where you are scheduled to appear for court. A court clerk can give you instructions how to request a continuance. You may need to “add-on” to the court docket prior to your scheduled court date, and/or file a Motion to Continue. Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse: 720.337.0410. City and County Building: 720.865.7840Victims and Witnesses: If you are a witness or victim in a case and you cannot appear for a scheduled court date, please contact the City Attorney’s Office at 720.913.8050.


I received a subpoena. What are my rights and obligations?

If you are personally served with a subpoena you are legally required to appear for court. If you do not appear in court, a contempt citation or a warrant for your arrest may be issued.


How do I get a public defender?

You must complete an application for the court’s review and approval. Please note that not all charges are eligible for the public defender – more minor charges that do not carry a jail sentence do not qualify for a public defender.

General Sessions: Follow the instructions: “COURT APPOINTED ATTORNEY IN ORDINANCE CASES (D.R.M.C.)” at or go to Denver Office of the Municipal Public Defender and follow their instructions which are listed in English and in Spanish.  You may also call their office at (720) 865-2849 or email them at

Traffic: Instructions and application forms for a traffic public defender are available in the traffic courtrooms in the City and County Building at 1437 Bannock Street. Completed applications must be turned into the courtroom where your case is being heard.


How do I get the charges dropped?

Only the prosecutor can drop charges and/or dismiss a case. Prosecutors will speak with victims and witnesses about the case and any concerns.


How can I get my vehicle released?

When a vehicle is impounded, a civil public nuisance case is filed. The court reviews that case, and if the case is approved, issues a Temporary Restraining Order (authorization to hold the vehicle). After a Temporary Restraining Order is issued, you may reach a settlement agreement with the Denver City Attorney’s Office for release of the vehicle, or you may contest the impoundment through a formal court process. If your vehicle is impounded and you are the owner of record of that vehicle, you will receive a postcard from Vehicle Impound informing the owner that the vehicle has been impounded. Summons and complaints are mailed by first class mail to the address of the owner on the records of the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles (or any similar department of any sister state). Once the vehicle is impounded on an alleged nuisance offense, the city has forty-five (45) days from the date of impound to file the civil nuisance action. Depending on the nuisance offense, most cases can be settled within thirty (30) to sixty (60) days of impoundment.


How do I seal or expunge my record?

All requests must be filed with the Denver District Court. For additional information, see:


How do I request certification for a U-Visa application?

The City Attorney’s Office is authorized to certify U-Visa applications for victims of municipal crime who are immigrants or undocumented residents.  If you think you may qualify for a U-Visa certification and you have been a victim of a municipal crime in Denver, please email the Prosecution and Code Enforcement office at