All garages need zoning, building, and sewer use and drainage permits (SUDP). Projects that upload all of the information required for these three permit types (zoning, building and SUDP) with their initial online application can receive a simultaneous review.
Scroll down for a list of items to upload with your application.
Depending on your project, you may also need trade permits, such as electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permits if you are adding light, heat or A/C, or water to the garage. These can be applied for at any time, and in most cases, are issued online as quick permits. Find out what qualifies as a quick permit.
How to Apply using E-permits
Apply for permits online
First-time e-permits users will need to create an online account. Once signed into e-permits, go to "Apply for a Permit" under "Development Services."
For zoning, building, and SUDP permits: When prompted to select a permit type, select "building log." On the project details page of the application, under project information, select the following:
- Project Classification: Single Family/Duplex Residential
- Project Scope: New Accessory Structure
For quick permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, roofing): When prompted, select the appropriate permit type under "Quick Permits" and follow the prompts.
What to Upload with Your Application
Please upload these documents with your online application to receive building, zoning, and SUDP permits.
This is only necessary if you are proposing construction within three feet of a property line. Please upload a boundary survey for vacant land or an improvement survey if there are existing structures.
Please draw the site plan to scale and include the scale and a north arrow on the plan. Please also include labels and dimensions for...
- all zone lot lines (e.g., primary, side, rear)
- adjacent streets and alleys
- all existing structures and driveways already on the property
- the proposed new garage (include proposed height)
- distances from the proposed new garage to existing structures, lot lines, etc.
- If a new driveway is proposed, please also include the location of the proposed driveways, dimensions from the driveway to the property line and any adjacent driveways, width of driveway, and material used in construction
For SUDP, please also include the size, type, and location of water, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer lines on your site plan.
Building Elevations with Dimensions
Please use the template provided below or submit scaled drawings.
Building Plans, Details, and Specifications for Garage Construction
Please upload building plans that show the following:
- Stud size and spacing
- Rafter/truss size and spacing
- Ridge board/ridge beam size
- Collar tie size and spacing
- Roof span
- Foundation/slab details
- Wall covering
- Shear wall detail/anchor bolts
- Header size, span, number of trimmers
- Roof covering, pitch and overhangs
- Wall and roof sheathing
- Fire wall-rated projection detail and locations
- Top plate and sill plate size and specifications
- Ceiling height
- Exterior materials with labels for each building component indicating color (non-paint) and finish
- Manufacturer cut sheets for all materials, windows, siding and doors
- Show window/door openings and major protrusions or indentations
View Sample Plans and Elevations