Residential Sheds

shed This webpage provides guidance on applying for residential shed permits. Please review this information before applying for your permits.

General Rules

  • Homeowners can apply for building permits without a contractor, but will need to meet specific eligibility criteria. Review the homeowner permits page for more information.
  • Foundation permits are not issued separately. 


Construction Permits

All sheds need a zoning permit. Sheds over 8 feet tall or over 200 square feet in size will also need a building permit. Some sheds also require sewer use and drainage permits (SUDP). Projects that upload all of the information required for these three permit types (zoning, building and SUDP) with their initial online application can receive a simultaneous review.

Scroll down for a list of items to upload with your application.

Trade Permits

Depending on your project, you may also need trade permits, such as electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permits if you are adding light, heat or A/C, or water to the shed. These can be applied for at any time, and in most cases, are issued online as quick permits. Find out what qualifies as a quick permit.

How to Apply using E-permits

Apply for permits online

First-time e-permits users will need to create an online account. Once signed into e-permits, go to "Apply for a Permit" under "Development Services."

For zoning, building, and SUDP permits: When prompted to select a permit type, select "building log." On the project details page of the application, under project information, select the following:

  • Project Classification: Single Family/Duplex Residential
  • Project Scope: New Accessory Structure 

For quick permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, roofing): When prompted, select the appropriate permit type under "Quick Permits" and follow the prompts.

What to Upload with Your Application

Please upload these documents with your online application. 

Site Plan

Please draw the site plan to scale and include the scale and a north arrow on the plan. Please also include labels and dimensions for...

  • all zone lot lines (e.g., primary, side, rear)
  • adjacent streets and alleys
  • all existing structures and driveways already on the property
  • the proposed new shed (include proposed height)
  • distances from the proposed new shed to existing structures, lot lines, etc.

For SUDP, please also include the size, type, and location of water, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer lines on your site plan.

Building Elevations with Dimensions

Please use the template provided below or submit scaled drawings.

Building Plans, Details, and Specifications for Shed Construction (if applicable)

If building permits are required, please upload building plans that show the following:

  • Stud size and spacing
  • Rafter/truss size and spacing
  • Ridge board/ridge beam size
  • Collar tie size and spacing
  • Roof span
  • Foundation/slab details
  • Wall covering
  • Shear wall detail/anchor bolts
  • Header size, span, number of trimmers
  • Roof covering, pitch and overhangs
  • Wall and roof sheathing
  • Fire wall-rated projection detail and locations
  • Top plate and sill plate size and specifications
  • Ceiling height

View Sample Plans and Elevations

Special Situations

Landmarks and Historic Districts

Projects that are located in a historic district or a designated landmark will require a certificate of appropriateness, meaning the project's design has been reviewed by Landmark Preservation and is appropriate for the historic nature of the property. It is highly recommended that you obtain this certificate before applying for building and zoning permits.

Learn more about meeting design guidelines for landmark properties.


If your property is along a designated parkway and the project encroaches on the parkway setback, you will need to download an Exception Request form (located under Contact the Parkways Team on the Parkways webpage) and email it to

Visit the Parkways webpage

Floodplains and Sewer Lines

If your property is in a floodplain or if you are digging within two feet of the sewer line, a sewer use and drainage permit (SUDP) may be required.

Research your property