Energy Assistance Programs (LEAP, Summer Energy)

Heat Wave Help: Summer Energy Assistance

Get help with paying your Xcel Energy bill, or your home HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) repair. Applications are open July 1 - September 30, 2023.

Qualifying for Summer Energy Assistance

  • You must be a current Denver County resident and reside at the home in which you are asking for energy assistance. If you are not a current Denver County resident, please visit or to learn about available assistance in your county.
  • Income limits apply. Please review the income table below to make sure you qualify before applying:


Summer Energy Assistance Program Income Limits

You must have a household income below the 60% average median income (AMI) to qualify. Before applying, please review the 60% AMI table to make sure you qualify.

Monthly Household Income limits (before taxes)
 Household Size  Maximum Income Level (Per Month)
 1  $2,880
 2  $3,766
 3  $4,652
 4  $5,539
 5  $6,425
 6  $7,311
 7  $7,477
 8  $7,644

 Each Additional Person



Assistance will only be granted if funds are available. It is the sole discretion of Denver Human Services whether assistance will be granted, and the amount of the assistance. The Denver Human Services decision is not appealable. Applications are accepted by referral, or you can complete the application below.

Apply for Summer Energy Assistance

Apply Online

You can apply for Summer Energy Assistance online using our OpenForms application:

Click here to view form.

Apply by Mail

Step One: Download the application:

English(PDF, 131KB) / Spanish(PDF, 128KB) / Vietnamese(PDF, 265KB)

Step Two: Complete the application. Be sure to attach any required documentation:

  • Income verification (last 30 days of paycheck stubs, SSA/SSI/SSDI award letters, or other income verification)

And one of the following, depending on your request:

  • Xcel Energy bill (if applying for Summer Energy Assistance)
  • Two (2) HVAC repair estimates (if requesting a Home HVAC Repair)

We cannot process applications without necessary documents.

Step Three: Mail the application and required documentation to:

Denver Human Services
Attn: Economic Resilience - Summer Energy Assistance
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80204



Other Energy Assistance Programs

Emergency Energy Assistance

Our Emergency Assistance may be able to help with Xcel bills. Fill out our form and one of our team members will be in contact with you:

Apply for Xcel Assistance

Emergency assistance is available to qualifying Denver residents only. Emergency assistance services include evictions, rental, and mortgage assistance, first month's rent and deposit assistance, and help with some energy bills.

Colorado Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

LEAP is now closed for the 2022-23 winter season. LEAP accepts applications between November and April.

The Colorado Low-income Energy Assistance Program(LEAP) is a federally funded program that helps eligible hard-working Colorado families, seniors and individuals pay a portion of their winter home heating and water costs. You can apply for the benefit every year, and as many times as you would like.


We are here to support you! If you have questions about LEAP, contact our Denver Human Services LEAP team: