Eviction & Foreclosure Assistance

Key in door lock on home

Eviction is when the tenant is court-ordered to leave the property. Only a sheriff may enforce this court order, and landlords can never evict without a court order and a sheriff. Note: In Denver, deputy sheriffs conduct the evictions. This type of legal action is called a Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED).

Landlords cannot legally deny tenants access to the property, change the locks, or remove the tenant’s possessions without a court order.

Denver Homeowner Rights and Resources 

Beginning on Aug. 30, 2022, a homeowners’ association (HOA), or assignee of the HOA’s debt, must provide this notice at least 30 days prior to seeking to foreclose on a lien. The HOA shall maintain a record of such notice, including the date and time the notice was provided, and what the notice stated. Read more and find information about housing counseling, property tax relief, home repairs, and more in the guide below. 

Denver Homeowner Rights and Resources(PDF, 67KB)

Denver Tenant Rights and Resources

On May 3, 2021, the Denver City Council passed a new ordinance requiring a Residential Rental Property license for any person to offer, provide, or operate a residential rental property in the City and County of Denver. The ordinance also adds additional renter protections. Beginning January 1, 2022, owners and operators of residential rental property (also known as “landlords”) may not allow any person to initiate a new occupancy of a rental property for more than 30 days unless and until the tenant has been provided a copy of an executed written lease, signed by both the landlord and tenant. The landlord must provide the tenant an electronic copy of the signed lease, or paper copy if requested by the tenant, within seven days from the tenant signing the lease. When providing a copy of the executed written lease and at any time the landlord makes any rent demand, the landlord must provide the most current version of a tenant rights and resources notice, which can be found in English and Spanish on the Department of Excise and Licenses’ Residential Rental Property License webpage.

If you have questions or have not received the Tenant Rights and Resource Guide(PDF, 87KB) (también disponible en español(PDF, 88KB)) upon signing a lease or receiving a notice, you can reach out to Karissa Johnson at tenantlegalservices@denvergov.org and be connected with someone at Excise and Licensing, the enforcement agency for violations of the Rental Registry Ordinance.


The Department of Housing Stability (HOST) provides funding for eviction legal assistance, as well as rent and utility assistance available. You may be eligible for up to 15 months of rent assistance. You can apply by clicking on the ‘Apply Online’ tab on our Rental & Utility Assistance page or call 1-844-926-6632 with questions. Immigration status and landlord participation are NOT required.

Free Eviction Legal Services

HOST provides funding for free legal services for low to moderate income households (at or below 80% of the area median income) facing an eviction. Information on free legal services can be obtained from:

Emergency Mortgage Assistance & Foreclosure Information

The Colorado Department of Local Affairs, through its Division of Housing-Office of Housing Recovery has launched the Colorado Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP). EMAP will provide financial assistance on behalf of income-eligible households experiencing a financial hardship associated with the COVID-19 health crisis, by disbursing funds directly to the homeownership loan lender/servicer, land contract holder, manufactured/mobile home lender, and/or other housing provider as appropriate.  

The EMAP application portal is now open (Please note you are leaving the Denvergov website). 
For additional questions please email: dola_haf_client_support @state.co.us.  


Resources for Denver Residents Facing Foreclosure & Eviction