Rent and Utility Help

Screenshot 2022-10-21 102404.jpg


Are you struggling to pay your rent, mortgage, or utilities? Are you worried about staying in your home? You’re not alone and it’s not your fault— one in three households in Denver is paying more than a third of their income toward housing. The Denver Department of Housing Stability is here to help you get the assistance you deserve. We have FREE programs to help you with paying rent, utilities, and more. Documentation status and landlord participation are not requirements for most programs.

If you are worried about paying rent, you can come to Room 163 in the Denver County Courthouse, located at 1437 Bannock St, from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. every Monday through Friday. Staff are available to answer questions and assist if you are facing eviction or in need of rental assistance.

Read more about our Housing Stability programs here(PDF, 2MB). This resource has information in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Vietnamese.

HOST alsoactively supports the Campaign to End Discrimination Based on Source of Income being spearheaded by the Denver Metro Fair Housing Center. Learn more through this video, 'A Place Called Better.'


Emergency Rental Assistance (ERAP)

Tenants who have been unable to pay rent due to financial hardship caused during or due to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for rental assistance. The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) can help cover rent as far back as April 2020. Help can include past due, current, and one additional month of rent up to a maximum of 18 months of assistance. If you are in need of free eviction legal assistance, visit this page and scroll down to free eviction legal services. ERAP funding is not guaranteed and is based on availability of funds.

Read the ERAP Program Guidelines(PDF, 264KB) (also available in Spanish(PDF, 288KB)).

Have more questions? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions below.  

If your request for assistance is denied, you may be eligible to appeal the decision.

ERAP Appeals Policy(PDF, 259KB)

ERAP Appeals Policy en Español(PDF, 306KB)


Temporary Rent and Utility Assistance (TRUA)

If you are a renter or homeowner in Denver and need assistance with paying rent and/or utilities, including Denver Water and Xcel Energy, you may be eligible for rent and utility assistance through Denver’s Temporary Rent & Utility Assistance Program.

Immigration status is not a requirement for the Temporary Rent & Utility Assistance Program.

See If You Qualify

  • The property you are requesting assistance for is your primary residence and is in the City and County of Denver
  • The tenant or homeowner’s household income is at or below the maximum income listed below (80% Area Median Income.) 
    2023HUD income pic.jpg

  • You have experienced an unexpected financial hardship
  • You complete the application for assistance and provide all of the needed documentation
  • Other qualifications and documentation required will be explained by the nonprofit agency you work with to access the funds

    To apply, call 311 and press 6 and you will be connected with a nonprofit agency providing rent and utility assistance.