Sewer Use and Drainage Permits (SUDP)

As part of the construction of the project, a developer / owner must provide adequate storm and sanitary sewer services to the development site. Use the DevelopDENVER tool on this page to find the wastewater engineer associated with your property address. 
Wastewater Engineering review and approval is required for all new major development and redevelopment in the City and County of Denver involving the following:
  • Sites and development of one half acre or more 
  • Sanitary sewer lines
  • Storm lines
  • Drainage channels
  • Water quality facilities

Construction of projects is managed through the combined efforts of Development Services and Denver Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Wastewater Management Division.


How to Apply

Submit SUDP and building plans at the same time through e-permits.

Step 1.Sign in to e-permits

Step 2.Select Development Services > Apply for a permit

Step 3.Select a Permit Type > Building Log

  • For garages: On the project details page, under project information, select the following:
    • Project Classification: Single Family/Duplex Residential 
    • Project Scope: New Accessory Structure

Step 4.Save all files as PDFs and name them: DocumentName_Address_Date.pdf

(e.g., UtilityPlan_201WColfax_11-1-2017.pdf)

All plans, reports, surveys, and other documents prepared by an architect, engineer, or surveyor must bear their seal on each sheet and a valid electronic signature on the cover page.

Learn how to apply a valid electronic signature (PDF) 

To facilitate a more streamlined permitting and review process, all SUDP initial application and resubmittal reviews are being combined to a single point of intake with electronic building permitting. 

  • All SUDP reviews will automatically start when a building permit application is received via e-permits. At a minimum, please include a utility site plan showing the size, type, and location of water, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer lines (and any other SUDP plans/documents specific to your project) with your building plans to ensure a timely review. Do not submit separately to SUDP — this includes projects that previously did not require a Building Log (i.e., floodplain only, state permitted buildings, etc.).
  • Use e-permits to resubmit plans! 
    • Sign in to view previously logged projects in My Records.
    • Click on the appropriate LOG record > Record Info > Attachments to add additional documents. 
    • Make sure to click “save” after uploading new/revised documents.



What to Submit

Residential single family & duplex (2 unit) - includes forms

Guidelines for zoning/building code reviews

Guidelines for residential SUDP

Forms for residential SUDP

Commercial and multi-residential (3 or more units) - includes forms

Guidelines for building code reviews

Guidelines for commercial SUDP

Forms for commercial SUDP

Sewer cut-off and repair entrance requirements

Requirements for specific project types

Additional Permit Information

Additional Resources


SUDP invoices must be paid prior to December 31 of the invoice year. Additional fees at the new year's rate may be assessed and payment required for any prior-year invoices.

For information on standard fees, see DOTI / SUDP on the Building and Land Development Fees webpage.

Grease Interceptors

Before installing or replacing a grease interceptor, consult these resources:

Grease interceptors will need a plumbing and an SUDP review.

In a restaurant or commercial kitchen, a change to the type of cuisine served, an increase in seating capacity, or a change in the cooking appliances could all have an impact on grease interceptor sizing.

For projects that require a grease interceptor, make sure to connect all fixtures in the kitchen and food prep areas to the grease waste sewer line, which is then directed to the appropriately sized grease interceptor, prior to connecting to the domestic sanitary sewer system for the building. Bar areas, beverage stations, restrooms, and any other area that is not in the kitchen or intended for food prep should NOT be directed to the grease waste sewer line, but rather connected directly to the domestic sewer system for the building.

Standards and Details

The following technical documents are sample design standards:

The following technical documents can be downloaded from Department of Transportation & Infrastructure, Right of Way Services page Manuals and Regulations or Document Center.

  • Sanitary design and technical criteria manual 
  • Sanitary sewer master plan
  • Storm drainage design and technical criteria manual 
  • Storm drainage master plan
  • Wastewater detail and technical specifications 
  • Wastewater standard detail drawings


Set up your inspections for all your Wasterwater sewer use and drainage permits (SUDP).