Denver Launches On-Demand Ride Share Pilot in Montbello
Published on October 30, 2021
Denver Launches On-Demand Ride Share Pilot, Expanding Transit Options in Montbello
DENVER – Today, the City and County of Denver is celebrating the launch of a free on-demand ride share service in the Montbello neighborhood – a pivotal step in piloting new and expanded transit options for the City’s residents.
The Montbello Connector is a free ride share program led by Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI) that Montbello residents can use to commute to local neighborhood destinations and transit stations. Riders can download the Montbello Connector mobile app or dial 720-868-0560 to request rides in English and Spanish. The service started October 11 within a 5.2 square mile service area that includes the Montbello Recreation Center, RTD Peoria Station, and convenient shopping destinations and is already averaging 60 rides a day.
“We’re able to do these types of local transit options that connect neighborhoods and improve quality of life in our city because voters said yes to an enhanced transportation department,” Mayor Michael B Hancock said. “With this pilot, we’re offering community members greater freedom of movement, and an affordable and convenient way to travel to neighborhood destinations and regional transit stops, and I encourage Montbello residents to give it a try!”
Denver chose Montbello for the pilot as it felt the service could meet the transportation needs of the neighborhood:
- Providing rides for people with limited access to a vehicle, getting them to jobs, shopping, food, services and the RTD’s Peoria rail station and bus stops
- Connecting older adults to shopping, services and medical appointments
- Helping families by transporting youth to/from school and after school activities
DOTI contracted with Northeast Transportation Connections and Downtowner to operate the service and manage the mobile app for riders. The program strives to employ local drivers that meet a rigorous background clearance process. The pilot will run 12 months beginning October 2021.
Quick Facts About the Service:
- Riders use the Montbello Connector mobile app or call 720-868-0560 to request rides
- The service is available weekdays from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. with on-demand trips anywhere in Montbello and between the Peoria Rail Station and the neighborhood. All rides are free.
- The service utilizes three vehicles: a wheelchair accessible van, an eco-friendly plug in hybrid minivan and all-electric sedan (sedan purchased through the new voter-established Climate Protection Fund).
- Goal is to get people where they need to go within 30 minutes of hailing a ride.
To learn more about the Montbello Connector and download the app, visit: https://bit.ly/MontbelloTransit.