Reminder: New Trash Collection Days Start Next Week
Published on December 29, 2021
Reminder: New Trash Collection Days Start Next Week for Most City and County of Denver Trash Collection Customers
DENVER – Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI) is reminding residents to check their trash collection schedules for 2022 in advance of changes coming next week! On Monday, January 3, DOTI drivers will begin running new trash, recycling, and compost routes throughout the city to make operations more efficient and collection services more reliable and consistent, and that means new trash collection days for most Denver customers. Here’s how residents can check to see what day of the week to set out their carts starting Monday:
Miss your new trash collection day? Or forget to set out your cart? Don’t worry! Call 311 (720-913-1311) to let us know. Then set out your cart and we’ll empty it within 24-48 hours after you contact us.
It has been more than 15 years since DOTI has made significant routing adjustments while the city has grown by about 200,000 people in that same period. Updated routes will help DOTI maximize existing resources:
- Implementing denser, more compact routes to collect the additional trash that Denverites are setting out as work-from-home trends continue.
- Moving to a district approach and assigning regular staff to each district to ensure more consistency and fewer missed pickups.
- More efficient routing that will result in 62,000 fewer miles driven and reductions in fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions.
Other helpful service information as we head into 2022:
Treecycle Collection is January 3 - 14. Here’s how to participate and turn your Christmas tree into mulch that the city will make available to residents in the spring:
- Remove all decorations, lights and tree stands.
- Between January 3 and 14, set out trees for collection at normal trash set-out locations no later than 7:00am.
- Set trees at least two feet away from trash, compost, and recycling containers as well as cars and other obstacles. Do not place trees inside bags or collection carts.
- Only real trees are accepted for recycling, no artificial or flocked trees.
Large item pickup service resumes in February 2022 on an every-four-week collection schedule. Find your large item pickup schedule at bit.ly/DenverReRouteMap.