‘Tis The Season to Recycle Christmas Trees & Old Holiday Lights
Published on December 29, 2020
Treecycle Begins Next Week; Holiday Lights Accepted Until Jan. 19
DENVER – Residents can start the new year off right, recycling Christmas trees and old holiday lights through two of Denver’s seasonal recycling programs! Starting Monday, January 4, Denver residents can recycle Christmas trees through Denver’s Treecycle program. For a two-week period, Denver Solid Waste Management customers can place trees out for recycling on their scheduled trash collection day through Friday, January 15.
How to participate in the 2021 Treecycle program:
- Remove all decorations, lights, and tree stands.
- Between January 4 and 15, trees can be set out for collection at normal trash set-out locations no later than 7:00am.
- Please set trees at least two feet away from trash, compost, and recycling containers as well as cars and other obstacles. Do not place trees inside bags or collection carts.
- Only real trees are accepted for recycling; no artificial or flocked trees.
It’s important for residents to keep in mind, extra trash service will be delayed two weeks due to Treecycle. All trees collected during Treecycle will be turned into mulch, which will be made available for free to Denver residents at the annual Mulch Giveaway and Compost Sale in the spring!
Denver residents unable to participate in Treecycle can recycle their trees for free at two drop-off locations through Saturday, January 30:
- Cherry Creek Recycling Drop-Off (7352 E. Cherry Creek Drive South)
- Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Road)
In addition, residents pulling down their holiday lights can also recycle ones that are broken or burned out for free at the Cherry Creek Recycling Drop-Off or Blue Star Recyclers (953 Decatur St.) until Tuesday, January 19. Please note, holiday lights will only be accepted for recycling at drop off locations and cannot be placed in purple recycling carts.
For more information on Denver’s seasonal recycling programs, please visit denvergov.org/denverrecycles.