Replace Lost, Damaged, or Stolen Plates & Placards

Please note: the City and County of Denver Motor Vehicle Department cannot currently accept payments any over the phone.

Weekday Hours of Operation:
In person visitors MUST be checked in by 2:30 p.m. in order to be served on the same day.
Weekdays EXCEPT Wednesday: 7 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Wednesdays: 7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. In person visitors MUST be checked in by 2:30 p.m. in order to be served on the same day.

New for 2023: A Colorado state park pass now comes included in your vehicle registration. Learn more about your options and what the pass supports here.

The Denver County Motor Vehicle Department will assist Denver County residents with the replacement of lost, stolen or damaged plates and/or placards. If you are not a Denver County resident, please visit the State of Colorado DMV website to locate your branch office.

Please note:
All vehicles are required by Colorado State law to have both a front and back plate.


Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Plates

Step 1.Report Lost or Stolen Plates

To report a lost or stolen plates to police:
  1. Complete and sign a Form DR2283 affidavit indicating that your license plates were stolen. A signature is required from one owner.
  2. Denver county residents should submit the completed form to one of our DMV branch office locations to perform the cancellation of plates.
  3. Denver county residents must contact the Denver Police Department to report the plates as stolen.

Step 2.Cost to Replace Plates

Depending on the type of vehicle, there will be a nominal fee for any plate replacement.

Regular Colorado Plates (two plates) cars, trucks, etc. $8.73
Regular Colorado Plate (single plate) trailers, heavy eqt. $6.55
Month Tab $.15
Year Tab $.22

Step 3.Required Documentation

Denver county residents should bring their most recent Colorado Registration/Ownership Tax Receipt, proof of insurance and a form of photo identification into one of our DMV branch office locations and our agents will assist you in replacing your missing plates.

Replace Disability Placards

  1. Lost or stolen placards will be re-issued to the original applicant only, with the same expiration date as the original placard. Bring verifiable identification of the person with a disability or a Power of Attorney (Durable, Medical, or General) for the appointed agent to one of Denver's DMV branch offices (Denver residents only).
  2. For damaged placards, bring your old placard (prior to expiration) to one of the Denver Motor Vehicle branch offices and provide a copy of the original Form DR2219 Registration Receipt as proof of ownership validation.