Currently, the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner has an internship program established with the University of Denver, the University of Colorado at Denver, Regis University and Metropolitan State College Denver. However, participation in this program is open to students at all academic institutions pursuing a major in a related field. Interested applicants who are not currently enrolled students are encouraged to apply if a 4-year degree has previously been obtained.
The internship is a 12-month program. The internship is unpaid and the student is required to work 16 hours a week, typically in two, eight-hour days. We require interns, at a minimum, to have junior, senior, or graduate standing, to have a G.P.A. of 3.0, to be pursuing a major in a related field, to be at least 18 years of age, and to be capable of passing a background check.
The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner is a 24-hour facility and interested candidates may be expected to maintain a nontraditional schedule. Interns are involved in all aspects of medicolegal death investigations. Under the guidance of a supervising investigator, interns have the opportunity to:
- Conduct investigations to ascertain the cause, manner, and circumstances death.
- Determine investigative technique, scope, timing, and direction of investigations.
- Locate the next of kin by contacting designated representatives, treatment agencies, family members, and other interested parties.
- Research and verify decedent identity.
- Verify the cause of death listed on death certificates to determine the need for further investigation
- Perform research, assembles reports, and provides information to insurance companies, attorneys, and other interested parties.
Additionally, upon completion of the internship program, interns are eligible for certification as a Death Investigator through the Colorado Coroner’s Association. Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com.
Schedules & Deadlines:
- Application period: February 1-28
- Interview/Shadow dates: March 1-15
- Application period: September 1-30
- Interview/Shadow dates: October 1-15