Denver is expanding solid waste services in 2023 with a new fee based on trash cart size. Weekly recycling and invoicing will begin in January and compost service will be rolled out throughout 2023. Rebates are available based on income and household size.
Learn more about fees, services and rebates
Trash is currently collected every week. Check the Schedules and Reminders page or download the Denver Trash & Recycling app to check your collection day. Trash carts are available in three sizes: 35, 65 and 95-gallons. Beginning in 2023, the city will begin directly billing customers for residential waste services based on trash cart size. The smaller the trash cart, the lower the fee. We also will expand residential recycling and compost collection services to reduce the amount of trash Denver sends to the landfill and the production of harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
For the fastest response to service-related issues, please call 311 (720-913-1311) and provide your name and exact home address.
Denver 311 Help Center: 3-1-1
Outside Denver: 720-913-1311
TTY Service: 720-913-8479
Reduce Your Trash:
Denver Solid Waste Management collects large or bulky items, along with extra bagged trash, monthly. Please use the directions below and the calendar to ensure proper use of the program and to help keep your neighborhood clean.
- View your collection schedule online.
- A maximum of 5 large items (furniture, etc.) and 10 bags of trash will be collected from each home per Extra Trash collection (every month). If you have any additional items, they will not be collected. NO CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL.
- Curb Customers: Place extra trash items in same location as your trash cart. Alley Customers: Place extra trash items directly behind your property.
- Place your items out by 7 a.m. on your normal day of trash service during your scheduled Extra Trash service week. We only provide one collection per household on the day of service.
- Make sure the items are visible and placed at least 2 feet away from your trash and recycling container, cars, poles and other obstructions.
- Only set out large items during your scheduled Extra Trash Service week. Setting items out on other times is considered illegal dumping.
- Put trash in containers or bags no larger than 32 gallons and weighing no more than 50 pounds, or it cannot be collected. Do not set trash out in cardboard boxes.
Up to ten bags of trash:
For information on how to reduce your trash, check out our recycle and compost collection programs.
Skip the bag and leave the grass clippings on your lawn. Learn more about GrassCycling.
Up to 5 large items:
Includes: sofas, couches, chairs, dressers, tables, and television stands
Instead of trashing your old furniture, here are some options to consider:
- Refurbish furniture. Put a slipcover on a sofa or refinish a table and dresser.
- Hold a yard sale. Sell your unwanted items and pocket a little extra spending money. Remember the saying, “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.”
- List large items for sale online. There are multiple websites and apps available for reselling your belongings. Here are just a few:
- Donate items to local charities. Nonprofit organizations, such as Goodwill and The Salvation Army, accept most household items. Some charities will even come to your home and pickup items.
- Organize a swap meet. Combine your unwanted items with your neighbors for greater results.
- Search for drop-off options. Check out Denver Recycles’ online Recycling Directory for locations where you can donate and recycle all types of items.
Mattresses and box springs
Mattresses can be recycled (for a fee) with Springback Colorado. Please visit their website to schedule a pick-up or find drop-off locations.
Toilets and sinks
Limit of one per Extra Trash Collection (every 8 weeks).
Large toys and bicycles
Includes playhouses, kiddie pools, scooters, big wheels, etc.
Check out Denver Recycles’ online Recycling Directory for locations where you can donate and recycle bicycles and parts.
Carpet and rugs
Carpets and rugs must be rolled into pieces no larger than 4 ft. in height or not greater than 50 pounds per piece.
Check out Denver Recycles’ online Recycling Directory for carpet recycling options.
Includes: treadmills, stationary bikes, etc.
Old trash containers
Please tape a sign saying "take away bin" on any containers needing removal.
- Building materials, such as insulation or drywall
- Concrete or bricks
- Wood boards or fencing
- Automotive parts or fluids
- Recycling drop sites for tires (fees range from $1.50-$3.00 per tire) and batteries can be found on Denver’s Recycling Directory.
Includes: dirt, sod, rocks, tree stumps, and branches larger than 4 inches in diameter or 4 feet in length.
- Paints & chemicals
- Electronics (televisions, computers, etc.)
- Hot ashes
- Medical waste
- Propane tanks
- Freon-containing appliances, such as refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners
- Large metal appliances, such as stoves, dryers, and washers
- Tubs, hot tubs or spas
- Schedule a FREE appliance recycling pick-up!
Dumpster Service Guidelines:
Dumpster trash service customers are provided with dumpsters for the disposal of household trash only. Automated trucks are used to lift and empty the dumpster. DHA residents may use any dumpster located around the property.
- Keep the area around the dumpster clear of trash and large items at all times. Do not place items next to or within 2 feet of the dumpsters. Bag all of your trash in heavy-duty bags. Always keep the dumpster lid closed to reduce litter and pests. If the closest dumpster is full, please take your trash to the next closest dumpster that has space available. Do not place furniture, construction debris, sod or dirt in dumpsters. Only set out large items on scheduled Extra Trash Collection weeks (every 8 weeks). See the "Extra Trash Collection" tab for more information. Maximize space in your dumpster by placing items in the rear of the dumpster first.
- Report illegal dumping by calling 311 (720-913-1311) as soon as possible. Record a license plate number and state of origin, description of the vehicle and a description of the person(s). Please do not approach or confront the person(s).
Free Appliance Collection