End of a Pet's Life

End Of Life

The deep bond between an animal and their humans is important, and at Denver Animal Shelter, we can help! We know the loss can be very emotional and difficult, but we offer services like euthanasia as the humane option for animals that are suffering. 

We recognize that for most people, the end of a loved animal companion's life is one of the most difficult and heart-breaking experiences of their lives. We offer counseling and compassionate care to support you and your pet. We will take your pet to a calm and quiet room and perform the most humane euthanasia.

End of Life Services 

Cremation Services

When the time comes to say good-bye, the Denver Animal Shelter offers cremation services for pets who have passed away. We provide a dignified approach when caring for your beloved pet.

Pets are cremated individually, and the ashes are presented in an urn. Carefully packaged, your pet’s ashes are returned back to the Denver Animal Shelter within two weeks where you can pick them up.

The cost is $85 plus tax and should be paid to Lasting Paws.

Euthanasia Services

This service is available only to residents of the City & County of Denver for a $50 fee. Proof of ownership is required when bringing your animal in for euthanasia request.

Service Hours:

  • Monday-Friday: 3 to 6 p.m. 
  • Saturday & Sunday: Noon to 4:30 p.m.  

We are unable to accommodate visitation during the procedure, however, we provide your pet with a calm and caring departure to the rainbow bridge.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I take my pet if I am no longer able to care for or keep it?

If you are struggling to keep your pet but would like support, contact our Community Engagement program.

If you are still unable to keep your pet, you can bring your pet to Denver Animal Shelter.  See location and services hours here.

What if I am disabled and don’t have transportation to take my pet to the animal shelter?

A City and County of Denver resident may contact Denver Animal Protection at 720-913-1311 for assistance regarding an owner surrender pet.

Where can I take my pet if I am not a Denver County resident?

You will need to contact your local animal shelter or animal control agency.