Boarding Home/Boarding Home - Personal Care

Boarding Home

Any person or business operating a residential structure for permanent occupancy with no provisions for cooking in the rooms. Meals, linens and housekeeping may be provided. This license is also issued to hotels and motels.  A boarding home license is required from the Department for Community Corrections Facilities.

Read about Board of Health Regulations for Boarding Homes

Boarding Home - Personal Care

Any person or business providing a residential structure for the purpose of providing either directly or indirectly through a provider, room and board, personal services, protective oversight, and social care due for residents who are unable to live independently.

Provisional license may be issued for 90 days by recommendation from the Department of Public Health and Environment if the applicant is temporarily unable to conform to all of the minimum standards of the Department of Public Health and Environment's rules and regulations.


Non-profit tax exempt organizations and state agencies are required to obtain the license but are exempt from the fees. Please send a copy of your 501C3 with your application packet and a letter to the director requesting that your fees be waived.

How to Submit an Application


There are a variety of ways that you can submit your New or Renewal application to the Department of Excise and Licenses. If renewing, please make sure to include your Business File Number (BFN) with the submittal.

  1. In an effort to protect public safety, in-person customer service at Excise and Licenses is being offered by appointment only. Please visit our appointments website to make an appointment. 
  2. All license applications not available online can be submitted via email,, during this health crisis. When submitting your email application, please attach all documents pertaining to your license application to ONE email. Please visit our email application process page for more information on submitting email applications.
  3. You may also mail in your application with fees to:

City and County of Denver
Department of Excise and License
201 W Colfax Ave, Dept. 206
Denver, CO 80202

Make checks payable to: Manager of Finance

You may also pay for your applications online or via phone once you have submitted your application to Excise and Licenses. We will send you an invoice and you may pay virtually. Please visit our online payment process page for more information on how to submit payment for your applications.

For questions, please email or call 311.

How to Get a New Business License

Step 1: Zoning Use Permit

If your office is located in the City and County of Denver, a zone use permit is required before obtaining a Boarding Home/Boarding Home Personal Care License.

A use permit is a document granting the applicant/owner of a lot, building, or structure permission for the requested use of the land. "Use" can be defined as any activity, occupation, business or operation transacted in a building or on a lot/tract of land.

You can use the resources on the Internet to plan ahead before you lease or buy property and before you apply for your business license.  Follow the steps below to learn more about the approved zone uses for the address where you want to locate your business.  Start on the  Find Your Zoning page.

  1. Enter the desired address.  Click Search.
  2. Note the Zone District.
  3. Click on the + to Expand for more information. 
  4. Note the Neighborhood Context.
  5. Click on the link for the Zoning Code or in Former Chapter 59.
  6. Click on the Article # for the Neighborhood Context noted above.
  7. Open the document and scroll to the "Use" tables at the bottom of the document.
  8. Find the "Use" category in the left column and the Zone District in the columns to the right.
  9. The code in the intersecting square represents the permitted use.  (There is a key to the codes at the top of every page.)

Ultimately, the zone use permit for your business license must be approved and issued by the Zoning department.  Learn more about the Denver Zoning Code or visit the Zoning Office.


Applying for a Zone Use Permit


Zoning Contact Information


Step 2: Required Documents

NOTE: If applicant is applying as a Corporation, one managing member must supply a Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Name Check. 


Step 3: Fees

Boarding Home

Application Fee:  $100.00

License Fee:  $200.00

CBI Name Check:  $5.00 

Boarding Home- Personal Care

Application Fee:  $100.00

License Fee:  $250.00

CBI Name Check:  $5.00 

Fees can be paid with cash, check, money order or credit card. Checks should be made payable to Manager of Finance. 


Step 4: Required Inspections

  • Development Services (720) 865-2982
  • Denver Fire Department (720) 913-3409
  • Department of Public Health and Environment (720) 865-5401

Step 5: Get Your License

Notify the Department of Excise and Licenses, at, that you would like your license emailed to you when all of the steps below have been completed. Be sure to include your Business File Number (BFN), name of your company and address of your business when emailing this request.

  1. All documents required for the license are complete and submitted to the office.
  2. The background check, if applicable, is accepted and approved.
  3. Fees are paid in full.
  4. All required inspections, if applicable, are passed.



Renew a Business License

Required Documents

  • NA

Renewal Fees

Boarding Home

License Fee:  $200.00 

Boarding Home- Personal Care

License Fee:  $250.00

Late Renewals

Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date to avoid penalty fees. 

90 Day Grace Period

There is a 90 day grace period from the expiration date during which licenses can be renewed by paying the license fee and the penalty fee. However, if a license is not renewed before the expiration date, they must cease operations until the license has been renewed during this grace period.

First 30 days of grace period:  20% penalty fee

Days 31 - 90:  50% penalty fee

After 90 days:  Licensees will be required to apply for a new license


Renewal Policies

Department of Excise and Licenses will attempt to notify business license holders, at the email provided at time of application by business owner, of the approaching expiration date. However, failure of an email to notify a delinquent licensee that its license has expired does not excuse the licensee from any applicable late penalty.