Arts Liquor License

 Issued to non-profit arts organizations and municipally owned arts facilities (e.g. Denver Art Museum, Museum of Nature and Science) that offer performances or productions of an artistic or cultural nature.


Sales and Service

  • Sale, service and consumption of beer, wine, and liquor by the drink for on-premises consumption only to patrons of such performances or productions
  • Need not have food or meals available
  • May not advertise the sale of alcoholic beverages anywhere on the licensed premises (interior or exterior)

Hours of Operation

Seven days a week between 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m.


Multiple Interests

Multiple financial interests are allowed with arts licenses. 

  • Other Arts licenses
  • Beer and wine licenses
  • Brew pub licenses
  • Club licenses
  • Hotel and restaurant licenses
  • Optional premises licenses
  • Public transportation system licenses
  • Racetrack licenses
  • Retail gaming tavern licenses 
  • Tavern licenses
  • Vintner's restaurant licenses

Distance Restriction

A 500 foot distance restriction from public and parochial schools, colleges, universities, and seminaries does not apply to new arts applications; however, no public or parochial schools may contain an arts licensed premises.

The campus of a college, university, or seminary may contain a licensed premises.


Application Fee:

State - $1,550.00 fee made payable to Colorado Department of Revenue + Liquor License Fees

State - $1,650.00 fee for Concurrent Review + Liquor License Fees

State - $1,550.00 fee for Transfer of Ownership + Liquor License Fees

City -   $1,000.00 + other fees assigned at time of application

Colorado Bureau of Investigations Fingerprinting:  $38.50 per person for anyone that owns at least 10% of the business entity.

License fees will be calculated at the time the application is submitted to the City.


Required Documents

See documents required for a liquor license application.

A cabaret application is not required for a Club License per Denver Revised Municipal Code Sec. 6-51(a)(2)

Additional documents may be required for this class of license.  Check with the Department of Excise and Licenses for specific requirements.




The names of all managers of arts licenses must be provided to the local and state licensing authorities whether a principal to the licensee or someone else manages the licensed premises.

Any changes in managers of arts licenses must be reported to both the City and the State within thirty days of the change in manager. 

All principals to a non-profit arts organization must be qualified before a license may be issued.