MCWILLIAMS "DINOSAUR" PARK IMPROVEMENTS
The project includes a new picnic area, new basketball courts and a complete playground replacement, including the refurbishment of the beloved purple dinosaur. Additional improvements include a new sidewalk along Yale and a more efficient irrigation system. The project is anticipated to start construction and will last into the summer of 2022.
ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS (ADUs) IN DENVER - ZONING CODE UPDATE
- Project webpage: ADUs in Denver
- Scope: This project aims to implement Blueprint Denver recommendations via an update to the Denver Zoning Code. This project will not change where in the city ADUs are allowed, but will look at how they are designed, how they fit in with different types of neighborhoods and block patterns, and how updates to the zoning code may reduce barriers to creating ADUs.
- Expected Timeline: Fall 2021 – Winter 2022
- Current Activities: Join the Community Advisory Committee (sign up here)
- What can residents do now? Sign up for project updates, submit an interest form for the Community Advisory Committee or other forms of participation, spread the word to your neighbors.
WHAT IS AN EASY WAY TO IMPROVE AIR QUALITY AND YOUR HEALTH?
Get out of your car and ride your bike! Join these fun efforts:
- Ride you bike and get paid for each mile you ride in October. You can earn up to $75! Click here to sign up. Learn more here.
- The Go-Tober Challenge is an annual, month-long competition in the Denver region that encourages employees to try different ways of getting to and from work during the month of October. By teleworking, biking, walking, riding the bus or rail, carpooling or vanpooling, employees can help decrease traffic congestion and improve our air quality. Learn more here.
- Make every day Bike to Work Day by taking the 2-mile pledge with Way to Go's partner, Bike Streets. Pledge to ride your bike just 2 miles a week. Build good habits, go places, enjoy the ride and make a difference! Click here to take the pledge.
ON MY WAY! YOUTH TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM
Free RTD passes for youth between the ages of 13 - 18 who attend Denver Public Schools AND have a MY Denver Card! Just sign up for the 'On MY Way!' Youth Transportation Program, and you can get monthly passes sent straight to your phone and be on your way! Learn more here.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR DENVER'S SNOW ANGELS PROGRAM
Denver's Snow Angels are looking for volunteers to help with snow removal during the 2021-2022 winter season. Please look out for neighbors on your block who could use the extra help this winter season. Click here if you are interested in being a volunteer.
"Bring Your Own Bag" Began July 1
In an effort to reduce waste and the use of single-use shopping bags, Denver is joining cities around the state and the world by implementing a Bring Your Own Bag program. Bring your own bag to avoid being charged a $0.10 fee for each single-use carryout bag (plastic or paper) provided at checkout. Click here to learn more about the bag fee and the Bring Your Own Bag program.
Here's what you need to know:
- The bag fee applies to grocery and retail stores – but not restaurants.
- The fee also applies to bags used for delivery and curbside pick-up.
- Stores will not charge for smaller bags such as those used to package bulk items, produce, meat, or fish.
- Farmers Markets, Marijuana dispensaries and prescription bags are exempt.
- People receiving support from state and federal Food Assistance Programs will not be charged for carryout bags.
- Charges for bags must be displayed separately on customer receipts and are not taxable.
The City of Denver and its community partners are providing free reusable bags to Denver residents. You can stop by our office during the week to pick up a reusable bag. Please call to make sure we are in. Bags will also be available at our South by Southeast community festival on August 21.
A new state law will require all cities to adopt a similar program, charging a $.10 fee, beginning in 2023. Starting January 1, 2024, single-use plastic shopping bags will be banned statewide.