Colorado Convention Center Expansion Project
One Block of Champa Street to Close Temporarily for Setup of Convention Center’s Third and Final Construction Crane
On Wednesday, October 20, the arrival and set up of a third crane that will support the Colorado Convention Center Expansion Project will require crews to close Champa Street from 14th Street to Speer Boulevard for a few days.
With two tower cranes visible from the side of facility along Champa Street, this third crane will operate on the roof, setting building materials in place as crews construct an 80,000 square foot multipurpose room, outdoor terrace, and other supporting spaces. The rooftop expansion will offer convention-goers sweeping views of the City skyline and mountains.
The Champa Street closure from 14th Street to Speer Boulevard is scheduled from Wednesday, October 20, at 5:00 a.m. through Monday, October 25, at 5:00 p.m. Message boards are in place to give travelers who normally take this route advance notice.
The expansion of the Colorado Convention Center includes a new 80,000 square foot column free multipurpose room and outdoor rooftop terrace with sweeping views of the city skyline and mountains. The project will be the largest ballroom in Colorado and expand one of the largest buildings in Denver. On the ground floor, there will be lobby renovations and seamless integration with the existing building, while offering attendees safe and easy access to an additional 150,000 square feet of meeting space, 600,000 square feet of exhibit space and a 5,000 seat Bellco Theatre.
The improvements will serve the needs of modern day convention-goers and differentiate the facility from others, ensuring it remains an attractive and global competitor. When complete, the expansion will generate an additional $85 million in annual economic impact. The project is anticipated to be completed in late 2023, while ensuring it can continue to operate during construction.
Conceptual Drawings of the Expansion
D Lobby Looking North at Exhibit Level
D Lobby Overlook From West Prefunction
Public Corridor at Multi-function Space
Multi-function Space Looking North
Hospitality Suite Looking West
Schedule subject to change. Updated as of April 2021.
CCC-XP Construction Timeline - View Full Size(PDF, 66KB)
Highlights of this project include:
- Rooftop expansion connecting new Ballroom and Pre-function spaces to landscaped outdoor areas with a birds-eye view of downtown Denver and the Rocky Mountains.
- Technology improvements and inviting networking spaces that position the CCC as the industry leader.
- Seamless integration with the existing building while offering attendees safe and easy access to CCC and Bellco Theatre events.
The design and construction of the expansion project is projected to:
- Create or support 2,691 jobs, including skilled trades and apprenticeships that will offer training opportunities for Denver residents currently out of work.
- Generate $195M in labor income
- Generate $475M in anticipated sales
- Add approximately $4B to the Gross Regional Product (GRP). GRP is the regional version of the national GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and is the single most useful and comprehensive metric for measuring economic impact.
Text Description of this Infographic(PDF, 99KB)
Training and Job Opportunities
Whether you're starting a career in construction or advancing in the industry, we hope you find your place on the Colorado Convention Center Expansion Project.
Additionally, CCC-XP is partnering with WORKNOW, a local platform that provides training, coaching and placement assistance, as well as family support services like childcare or the purchase of construction equipment and tools.
Get connected to WORKNOW here:
- WORKNOW Interest Form (English y Espanol)
- WORKNOW Phone Number: 303-352-6019
- Spread the word! Tell friends and family about WORKNOW with this printable information flyer (English and Spanish)
M/WBE Trade Partners
"How To Do Business" with Hensel Phelps
“How to Do Business”
is a monthly training series hosted by Hensel Phelps. The trainings will provide best practices for preparing you for contracting opportunities with Hensel Phelps.
Register for our mailing list and to be notified about all upcoming trainings in the series.
Become a Trade Partner with Hensel Phelps and receive notifications of upcoming bid opportunities.
Bid Package 5 and Low Voltage Security – Millwork, Acoustic Insulation, Paint and Wall Coverings, Flooring, Tile, Low Voltage Security
Bids Issued: 9/17/21
Pre-Bid Meeting (virtual): 9/30/21 – Register here for Pre-Bid Meeting
Bids Due: 10/21/21
Additional MEP Opportunities – Electrical: Low Voltage Rough In, Lighting Control, Lighting Lightning Protection; Mechanical: Snow Melt, Refrigeration
Bids Issued: 9/17/21
Pre-Bid Meeting: 10/7/21 – Register here for Pre-Bid Meeting
Bids Due: 10/21/21