My City Academy
The Denver Office of Immigrant & Refugee Affairs (DOIRA) and Denver Police Department (DPD) partnered to develop My City Academy, a program created to empower immigrant and refugee residents to participate and connect with the City & County of Denver. My City Academy connects participants with individuals in city agencies and offices, teaches them about the services, resources and benefits available, and how to access those services.
Download the My City Academy 2020 Flyer (PDF).
Participants of My City Academy will:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the city’s government services,
- Improve their accessibility to existing City and community resources,
- Build leadership capacity, and
- Become part of the larger community network.
My City Academy is FREE. There is no cost to participants and participants are encouraged to attend all sessions. The Academy provides program materials, interpretation and may include food/snacks, and childcare.
For a sign language Interpreter or open captioning via CART provided upon request with three (3) business days' notice email SignLanguageServices@denvergov.org or call 720-913-8487.
Virtual My City Academy
This webinar series will be an 8-session program over 4 weeks dedicated to educating community navigators and service providers that serve immigrant and refugee communities about the services and benefits provided by city offices.
Sessions begin August 31, at noon. Participants will need to pre-register. Interpretation is available for most languages – request interpretation on the registration form. A Sign Language Interpreter or open captioning via CART provided upon request with three (3) business days' notice email SignLanguageServices@denvergov.org or call (720) 913-8487.
Sessions start at noon for an 1-hour on the following days:
- Mon Aug 31 – Introduction to My City Academy and Denver 101 – learn about the structure of Denver’s Municipal System
- Tue Sep 1 – Anti-Discrimination Policy & Procedures – how the Office of Anti-Discrimination can help with discrimination complaints
- Tue Sep 8 – Emergency Assistance for Families – Denver Human Services and partners share the common and not so commonly known services and benefits available to immigrant/refugee communities
- Wed Sep 9 – Financial Empowerment & Protection – resources for help to understand basic finances and how to prevent fraud
- Mon Sep 14 – Health & Wellness – healthcare, primary care and health maintenance and resources
- Tue Sep 15 – Public Safety -
- Mon Sep 21 – Children & Families – programs and resources for education and recreation
- Tue Sep 22 – Labor, Employment & Workforce – resources in the City of Denver for those looking for support
Register For an Upcoming Virtual Session
Please help us share this opportunity by sharing the post on FB.
For questions, please contact:
María Corral, Community Integration Coordinator