What Is a Peddler (non-food)?

Peddler: An individual who engages in the itinerant or transient sale or bartering of any goods, merchandise or services directly to the consuming public, whether or not the goods, merchandise or services are actually delivered at the time of sales. A person that sells non-perishable food items directly to the public from a non-fixed location but does not operate out of food truck or food cart.

A peddler engages in such activities as selling from door-to-door, hawking of items at public events, and selling or canvassing by means of carrying goods or samples around from place to place in order to encounter consumers who will purchase or order the goods.

A peddler must be 18 years of age or older.

Peddler Sponsor:  A peddler who peddles candy or other items with children 12 years of age and older

Crew size is limited to 25.  Children may work only after school and no later than 1/2 hour after sunset.  Owner and manager must be 18 years of age and older.

Peddler Guidelines(PDF, 62KB)

Denver Food License Information(PDF, 309KB)

Peddler licenses are renewable on a yearly basis.


Basic Information 

How to access the online application

You can access the online application by clicking on the buttons on the right-hand side of this page.

A peddler (non-food) applicant can check the status of an application at any time through the online application portal. Please download our Application Status Check-In Guide(PDF, 457KB) for step by step instructions.

We strongly recommend using Google Chrome or Safari browsers to complete the online application.

When to apply for a peddler (non-food) license

We recommend that current peddler (non-food) apply for a new peddler (non-food) license 30 days before their current license expires. This will ensure that Excise and Licenses has plenty of time to process the application so that there is no lapse in the peddlers ability to work.


Applying for a New Peddler (non-food) License

Before You Apply

Before beginning your online application, please take the following actions:

  1. Read the ordinance governing peddler (non-food) licenses to ensure that this license is right for you.
  2. Start gathering all of the required documents listed in the next section of this website. Make sure the documents are filled out completely and uploaded onto your computer. Note that some documents may take several days to obtain, such as a Colorado Driving Record.
  3. Ensure that you have a banking account, Mastercard, Visa, or Discover card that you can use to pay online.
  4. Start your application!

Required Documents and Fees

Upon application, you will need to pay a $50 license fee  for peddler (non-food). These fees can be paid with a bank account or a Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card. 

The following documents are required upon application for a peddler (non-food):

For Disabled Peddler

Disabled peddlers may petition the Director, in writing, for an exemption from the prohibition against the use of carts, dollies, wagons, or any other wheeled devices.

The petitioner must prove the following:

  1. The petitioner’s qualification under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, by a written letter from a licensed physician attesting that the petitioner has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; 
  2. The petitioner’s need for the specific accommodation requested. 

Upon verification that the petitioner has established both of the above prerequisites, the Director may grant an exemption that allows only the following:

  1. The disabled peddler may use one, and only one, cart, dolly, wagon, or other wheeled device; and 
  2. The disabled peddler may only carry the quantity of goods and/or merchandise that the peddler reasonably would be able to carry on the peddler’s person, but for the disability. 

All petitions must include the following:

  1. A photograph of the proposed cart, dolly, wagon, or wheeled device; 
  2. A written description of the size and dimensions of the proposed wheeled device; and 
  3.  A written explanation of the intended manner and method of its use.

 In deciding whether to grant the petition, the Director may consider whether the proposed cart, dolly, or wheeled device might have a negative impact upon public health, welfare, or safety, or whether the proposed cart, dolly, or wheeled device might block or interfere with the public’s use of the right-of-way. The Director may seek the advice and consent of the Department of Public Works in deciding whether to grant the petition, to deny the petition, or to grant the petition with written limitations upon the manner, method, or location of the proposed device’s use.

For Peddler Sponsor (Which cannot be submitted online, can submit via email, in-person, or mail)

For Peddler Sponsor Fees

Application Fee:  $25.00

License Fee:  $500.00

Fingerprint Fee:  $16.50 

Fees can be paid with cash, check, money order or credit card.  Checks should be made payable to Manager of Finance.  We cannot accept credit card payments over the phone or through the mail.

Application Process

NOTE - Excise and Licenses will strive to process any application for a new peddler (non-food) license within 7 business days. The application review process may take longer if the application is found to be incomplete or if a police review is required.

The application process for a new peddler license is as follows:

  1. The applicant submits an application online. All required documents must be uploaded before the application is submitted.
  2. Excise and Licenses will review the application and supporting documents for completeness. If the application is found to be incomplete, a "notice of deficiency" email will be sent to the applicant allowing 14 days for corrections.
  3. If the applicant is found to be eligible for licensing, a copy of the peddler's professional license and a temporary badge document valid for ten (10) calendar days will be emailed to the applicant, allowing the peddler to immediately start working. Meanwhile, a permanent peddler badge will be mailed to the address provided in the online application if requested, or the peddler may come in to Excise and Licenses to pick up the badge. Be sure to read and follow all conditions printed on the temporary badge document and the professional license.
  4. The peddler should read the section below titled 'Once You Have Your License' and be sure to adhere to each of the specified requirements of licensure.

Once You Have Your License

License Must be Carried and Badge Must be Displayed While Working

Excise and Licenses will email a professional license to all peddlers. This license (or a clear picture of the professional license) must be carried by the peddler at all times during which the peddler is working.

The permanent peddler badge issued by Excise and Licenses must be worn on the outermost part of their clothing in a clearly visible manner at all times during which the peddler is working. If a badge is lost or damaged, a replacement badge can be requested online.

Requirement to Keep Contact Information Up to Date

If a peddler's contact information changes, they must file an online amendment application notifying Excise and Licenses of the change.

Requirement to Renew Annually

Professional licenses expire annually. It is unlawful for a peddler to work with an expired license. Renewal applications must be filed online with Excise and Licenses before a license expires.


Notifications & Amendments

Update Contact Information


If you would like to update your contact information, please use the link on the right-hand side of this page to access our online licensing portal. Once you arrive at the "My Licenses" page, select the "Amendment" action for the license you wish to update, and then follow the prompts.


If your legal name changed, please e-mail a written request to and include one of the following documents in your e-mail:

  • A certified copy of a marriage certificate indicating your new name
  • A certified copy of a final divorce decree in which the judge listed your desired name change directly on the decree
  • Other certified court documents granting a legal name change

Get a Replacement Badge


If your peddler badge has been lost or stolen.


Please use the link on the right-hand side of this page to access our online licensing portal. Once you arrive at the "My Licenses" page, select the "Amendment" action for the license you wish to update, and then follow the prompts.