Denver Holds Annual Mulch Giveaway & Compost Sale on May 1
Published on April 23, 2021
DENVER – It’s time to “plant the seed” with your viewers and readers about Denver’s annual Mulch Giveaway and Compost Sale, which will be held on Saturday, May 1 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. This one-day event is a great way for Denver residents to get two great products to help their gardens thrive this spring!
Mulch can help control weeds, retain soil moisture and protect shallow-rooted plants. The free mulch offered at this event has been created from trees that were collected and ground up through Denver’s Treecycle program earlier this year. Free dig-your-own mulch will be available at the following locations:
- Havana Nursery (10450 Smith Rd., just south of I-70 on Havana St.) Please note, this is the only location where free loader service into trucks and trailers will be available.
- Bear Creek Park (South of Dartmouth Ave. on Raleigh St.)
- Sloan’s Lake Park (Sheridan Blvd. & 17th Ave.)
- Veterans Park (Iowa Ave. & Vine St.)
When added to soil, compost can help plants thrive, enabling the soil to retain more water and reducing the need to fertilize. During this event, Denver residents can get their hands-on compost at a significant discount at participating Ace Hardware and A1 Organics locations. The compost was made from organic material (food scraps and yard debris) collected through the Denver Composts program.
Select Ace Hardware locations will offer one-cubic-foot bags of Denver’s Own EcoGro Compost for the discounted rate of $5 per bag (plus tax). Most Denver-area stores regularly stock this compost; however, the following locations are offering the sale price on May 1:
- Ace Hardware Alameda Station (417 S. Broadway)
- Ace Hardware Cherry Creek (1427 S. Holly St.)
- Ace Hardware Tamarac Square (3333 S. Tamarac Dr.)
- Ace Hardware University Hills (2500 S. Colorado Blvd.)
And, participating A1 Organics locations will offer compost in bulk for $30 per cubic yard (plus tax) on May 1. Only trucks and trailers can be loaded at the following locations, and the minimum bulk compost purchase is one cubic yard:
- A1 Organics Commerce City (9109 Monaco St., Henderson, CO 80640)
- A1 Organics Sheridan (2300 Radcliff Ave., Sheridan, CO 80110)
- All attendees and employees are required to wear a face covering and follow social distancing guidelines.
- Residents must bring their own pitchforks, shovels, bags, and containers needed for loading/transporting mulch from dig-your-own locations, as well as their own tarps or other necessary equipment to cover/secure loads of mulch and compost in trucks and trailers.
- This event is for Denver residents only; commercial entities are prohibited from taking mulch and/or purchasing compost from this event.
For more information, please visit denvergov.org/mulch.