Jackson Street Storm Drain System
The Jackson Street Storm Drain Project will provide a critical link between the lower and upper Montclair Basin system for managing stormwater and offer improved flood protection for residents and businesses in the project area between Colfax and 12th Avenues, from Jackson to Albion Streets.
The Montclair Drainage Basin is over nine square miles and has had a long history of significant, persistent flooding problems for homes and businesses during heavy rainstorms and other storm events. Rain that falls in the drainage basin becomes storm runoff that flows in a northwesterly direction, ultimately draining into the South Platte River.
The Montclair Basin has been identified as a priority basin for storm drainage and water quality improvements. The expanded and improved Jackson Street Storm Drain System will ultimately provide additional capacity for the upstream area around Hale Parkway.
Construction Updates - week of March 1, 2021
- Beginning in early March, “no parking” signs will be in place on the north half of the east side of Jackson Street between E. 13th and E. 14th Avenues to accommodate construction traffic as necessary for contractor access and safety. Impacted residents will be notified directly.
- Weather permitting crews are scheduled to remove and replace the City’s existing sanitary sewer pipe in E. 14th Avenue from February 22-24, 2021. A sanitary sewer bypass will be installed to temporarily accommodate homes and businesses in the project area.
- Crews will continue storm pipe excavation and installation in the south end of the National Jewish Health (NJH) parking lot and under E. 14th Avenue. During this phase of construction, which is expected to be completed in May or June 2021:
- Full lane closures of E. 14th Avenue are required between Garfield and Harrison Streets to ensure the safety of the construction crews as they install the pipe twenty-two feet below ground.
- The intersections of Garfield and 14th and Harrison and 14th are open.
- Local vehicular traffic will be maintained in the area, with the exception of the closure at E. 14th Avenue and Jackson Street.
- Sidewalks on the north side of 14th between Garfield and Harrison are closed, while sidewalks on the south side of 14th will remain open.
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained during construction.
- In addition to installation of the new stormwater pipe, you may have noticed increased construction activity and traffic signage in the area generally. This is due to multiple, critical public works projects occurring simultaneously, including lead service line replacement as part of Denver Water’s Lead Reduction Program. Please direct questions about the Lead Reduction Program to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Denver Water’s customer care number at 303-893-2444.
- Construction is also underway at NJH on its new Center for Outpatient Health in the former patient parking lot, situated at E. Colfax Avenue, between Jackson and Garfield Streets. For more information about this project, please visit https://nationaljewish.org/center-for-outpatient-health/overview.
(Jackson Street Project area shown in green.)
Overview of Construction Timeline & Traffic Impacts
Early January 2020 — late July 2020 (7 months)
Construction in westbound lanes of E. Colfax Avenue at Jackson Street
- During this phase of construction, the westbound lanes of E. Colfax Avenue around Jackson Street will be closed, while the eastbound lanes of E. Colfax will remain open and adjusted to provide one eastbound and one westbound lane for traffic.
- Access to Jackson Street from E. Colfax will not be open to vehicles during work in westbound lanes of E. Colfax.
Late July 2020 — early November 2020 (3 months)
Construction in eastbound lanes of E. Colfax Avenue at Jackson Street
- The westbound lanes of E. Colfax will be reopened and adjusted to provide one lane of traffic in each direction.
- Access to Jackson Street from E. Colfax will reopen.
- The traffic plan on E. Colfax will “flip” for pipe installation to begin in the eastbound lanes of E. Colfax Avenue around Jackson Street and the eastbound lanes will be closed.
- NJH remains accessible from 14th Avenue at Jackson Street.
January 6, 2020 — mid November 2020 (10 months)
- North end of Jackson ROW/NJH parking lot (Driveway to Circle Entrance)
Mid November 2020 — May 2021 (7 months)
South end of Jackson ROW/NJH parking lot (Circle Entrance into E. 14th Avenue) and East 14th Avenue between Garfield and Harrison Streets
- Vehicle and pedestrian access to NJH will move back to E. Colfax from the temporary location on E. 14th
- Pedestrian access from NJH parking lots south of E. 14th Avenue will be across E. 14th at Harrison Street.
- Full lane closures will be required on E. 14th Avenue in the area around Garfield, Jackson and Harrison Streets during the final phase of the project to ensure the safety of the construction crews as they install the new pipe.
- Detours will be put in place during this phase of construction
Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other factors.