<div rte__content"="" id="columncontrol_4-col-1-rte">
Filing a lien is a process that involves using a motor vehicle title for collateral. Lien-holders may be companies or individuals whom an applicant owes money, and where the title will be held by the lien-holder until the debt has been paid in full.
Lien-holder Filing Process
Lien-holders should submit the following documentation according to the instructions below:
- Ensure that you submit a properly assigned title or Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO/MCO).
- Make sure the mortgage paperwork and vehicle description agree with the title or MSO.
- Mail the documents to the county where the buyer resides.
- Enclose all sales tax receipts for the purchase of the motor vehicle and sign all checks or money orders for calculated sales taxes due (8.31% of the purchase price) and proper filing fees.
- Remember that sales tax is only required for newly purchased vehicles; if the vehicle is being refinanced no sales tax is due as they have already been paid.
- Check for required signatures on each document.
- Include powers of attorney, VIN inspections, and weight slips where required.
- Properly release previous liens.
- $7.20 Title fee (per title)
- $5.00 per printed page for security agreements up to 14” in length and 8 ½ in width.
- $10.00 per printed page for security agreements longer than 14” in length or 8 ½ in width
Make checks payable to Denver Manager of Finance.
2855 Tremont Place
Denver, CO 80205